Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sally Lightfoot?

Do any of you have one? I really enjoy watching crabs. How do they get along in a reef. Or with a shrimp? Any info would be appreciated!
    Gail in Nova Scotia

I had one. She was a really cool part of the reef, alot of personality and very very very fast. She spent alot of time with the diadema urchin. When they are small they don't seem to be a threat to anything. When the feeding tube went in the tank she was in line just like any of the fish. But she got very big and decided to eat a clown gobie!!!!

Sally light foot crabs are not reef safe. Do a search on the forum here and you will find some links showing why. The short version is they are proficient hunters and can/will capture and kill fish.
    -Dazz

I've been one to have posted on this board a 'problem' with my sally lightfoot. I had added three VERY small peppermint shrimp in an attempt to tackle an aptasia outbreak. The sally lightfoot (no doubt about this) eat all three peppermint shrimp in one night. I've had the SL for over a year and he has grown (now at his mature size of 3.5"). I also have cleaner shrimp in the tank that have never been bothered. This 'attack' on the peppermint shrimp was a surprize. Dazz raises a point that is important but should not deter you from adding this amazing creature to your setup (ouch! here comes the controversy). As adults they can be opportunistic but IMHO will not be a problem for established creatures in your setup. Are they reefsafe ... yes, but like any scavenger will eat things smaller than him. He has never gone after any other tank mates (3 chromis for example that are smaller than him). If you have small defenceless creatures in your tank (young peppermints) caution is advised. Otherwise you should go ahead and enjoy this cool looking crab. To steal for OSD "balance, balance, balance".

I have had a SL in my reef for over two years and never a problem except with another SL. I bought two at once and within a week there was a massive rumble and the smaller one was left limbless. IMHO my huge Banded Coral Shrimp is far more predatory as I watched it hunt and kill my little porcelin crab. My Sally is just a herbivore from what I can tell. Just my 2 cents.

There ya go! Ya pays yur money and ya takes yur chance! Guess I will wait to see if my new CBS actually is a Lucifer in personality before adding another potential threat. Thanks guys.
    Gail in Nova Scotia

Indeed, I'm not trying to deter you if you really want one, I just wanted to put forth another school of thought on the little guys . Didnt meant to come off as a party pooper . Alot of the problem is the LFS actually may not be getting "true" sally light foot crabs, but instread a different similar species that is more preditory.
    -Dazz

Gail,

With all these 2 cents worth, you're going to be rich!

I've had 2 SL crabs for a little over 2 years. They will scrap with each other but since they're so quick, no-one really gets hurt. They grew from 1 ince to now almost 2.5 inches. They do not bother with anything else in the tank, but spend all their time picking the algae off rocks, glass, whatever. I think a Coral Banded Shrimp is much more of a predator than to SL. I say "go for it". Lorne

i had a SL in my tank since the begining (one of my first additions). It is now full size and is a great addition. it has never bothered any of my fish or shrimp (including pepermint shrimp) and i have small fish as well such as chromis, shrimp goby, etc). It just eats the left over food on the floor and algae off the rock and glass. it barely even its dead fish in my tank, it may pick, but the bulk is eaten by my snails.
    Albert
    My Photos

Lorne! Hey- nice to see you on board!

ALRHA- dead fish in your tank??? Hopefully I won't have to try that with my SL. If I get one.
    Aqua Creations has some in so I will maybe take a look see. Lorne- you have everything I have so maybe I will be all right too. Crabs are just such entertaining fellows. My son raised a tiny crab from the shore one summer in a little 10 gal in the basement. She would dance for you if you showed her a cracked mussel. Too cute!
    Gail in Nova Scotia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast