moonlights or night lighting

Does anyone have this moonlight set up. I was on reef central and came accross this. Bascially its just a pc fan with led lights in it. But it does bring a question to mind, shoule we be thinking about simulating the moon on a reef, is there any benifit to this ?

has anyone every heard of THE BLUE MOON FRESHWATER AND MARINE FLUORESCENT BULB IS SPECIALLY DESIGNED FOR DARK VIEWING AND ENHANCING CORALS. USE THE BLUE MOON FOR CREATING MOONLIGHT EFFECTS FOR AFTER DARK VIEWING AND BE ABLE TO SEE ELUSIVE CATFISH AND CRUSTACEANS. THE CAREFULLY CHOSEN SPECTRUM OF THE BLUE MOON ALSO ENHANCES THE BEAUTY OF YOUR AQUARIUM ANY TIME OF DAY. USE THE BLUE MOON WITH THE TRITON BULB AND OTHER DAY LAMPS TO ENHANCE BLUE FISH AND FLUORESCE CORALS. THE BLUE MOON HAS A BROAD BLUE SPECTRUM AND ACTINIC PEAK THAT PROMOTES GOOD HEALTH IN CORALS.

Powder,
    They're basically glorifying an actinic bulb. Yes, the actinic is good for the corals, but it doesn't recreate the moon. Moonlighting is just a term people give a very dim bluish bulb that they turn on at night to view their tank. I personally just use my actinics and keep them on 2 hours after my MH lights shut off. I also have them turn on 3 hours before the MH lights come on. This is what people call "dusk/dawn effect. Basically, you don't want to shock the fish with sudden changes. Imagine you're sleeping at night and someone suddenly turns on a 400w MH bulb. A bit if a wake up, no? Samething goes for at night time..., here you are swimming along under full 400w MH's and all of a sudden everything goes dark!! What do you think will happen..., you'll crash right into that bridge or piece of rock in front of you.
    By the way, blue is not the color of the spectrum that you can use to view things at night. It's the red spectrum that livestock in the water cannot see. When you shime a red light into a dark tank, basically most things won't even know you're watching them.
    As for the thing you saw with a fan and red lights, well that's basically someone who I guess attached the lights to his fan brackets, and decided to have then mounted for ease of regular use.
    Hope this answers your question.

Just go to Buchannan lighting and buy a Blue led strip light.....can get any length...last for years.....and does an awsome job....been using one every night for the past 4 months.
    Ask to speak with Sandy or Ernie.

I did the same as Fishysan and got 8 feet of lighting from Rona.
    Works great.
    Some of the clips that it came with to attach the lighting to the hood broke from the heat but everything else rocks.
    ________
    Tanks: 400 gal Reef, 180 gal FOWLR, 300 gal Sump, 40 gal Frag Tray plumbed as one system - 900 gal total water volume.
    DIY Calcium Reactor, Nielson Reactor and Skimmer

Reeferboy,
    What color did you end up using?