Star Polyp like coral dying?

I have this particular coral which outwardly looks like a star polyp although it's actually a membrane in which polyps grow from..similar in looks..but different. I can never remember exactly what its called.

Anyway,..it's been receeding from the rock lately. I've noticed that the bottom of the membrane is purple and flakes away. Areas which once contained polyp/membrane..are left with a purple substance (looks like nice coralline algea ) which can be removed by hand.

In order to clean some aptasia off the rock I pulled it out and the coral membrane came off the rock with ease..didn't seem good to me.

Is this an indication that the coral is dying?

Jaret.

It doesn't seem good to me either!! How long have you had it? Is it in you fish tank- or have you changed over to reef from fowlr? What kind of w.c.s, buffers, additives do you use/do?
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Dose not sound right to me ether. If what you are saying is that the flesh is receding something is amiss. Got any pics of this coral?
    Rob

I too would like to see a pic of the coral. Knowing what we're talking about would likely help to find out whats wrong.....but alas no matter what it is, receeding isn't a good thing.
    Visit my Reef @ NewfieReef.com

I have the same coral you do, I was told it was green star polyps but maybe not. It seems to spread an inch in diameter every month or two. the only time it receeded was when I did some aquascaping around it and put ssome of it in shawdow. I saw it seperating so i tore off a chunk and stuck it to a rock and it grows fine now. This coral seems to love light and current.

I'll see if I can get a pic when the lights come on so the base can be seen

here it is on the top before the polyps come out, don't mind the algea prob. when expanded you cannot see the purple at all. The thing on the bottom is supposed to be a frag of red finger leather, I just picked it up today