Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Acceptable Electrical Current in Tanks.

Hey Folks,

Just thought I'd ask one of those questions with multiple valid answers...

I tested for Volts AC between a outlet ground and the sump water. I was surprised to find 4.5 VAC in there! I was looking for stray current...

Goes down to 2.5v when I power off all my heaters. and up to 5.5v when my 2 heaters are on.

My question is: Is a small amount of electricity to be expected or it should be 0.00?

Come to think of it 0 would be insane, my voltmeter reads 1.05v just with one probe in the ground and the other one in the air hehehe

Thanks for your input!
    Eric

IMO it should be very close to ZERO. you have something leaking current into your tank and i would guess that it is one of you hearers from what I see there. Whatever it is ... find it and fix it before it fixes you.
    Rob

Oh yes..it happend to me once that my mag 9 was plugged in a power bar but the power bar to the wall had only 2 pins and no earth ground.....I can tell you from experience fish dont like it...You should get voltage in the milivolts only...that pump gave alot of current in the tank because it wasnt grounded correctly..
    Derik...

You can also get a grounding probe for your tank to help absorbe stray voltage. Maybe Ivan has them I'm not sure. I do know that J&L has them. It's called a rid volt grounding probe, I use them in all my tanks.

Colby
    "DREAM LIKE YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE LIKE YOU'LL DIE TOMMOROW"

Cool

pretty close to normal and you'll probaly never get 0.00. any thing llike powerheads and heaters can cause those readings even if there fine. If they weren't fine you'd know it! theres alot of magnetic energy around our tanks with all the gear and such. A probe might be worth looking at but,,, theres a big debate on wether there dangerous or not. some say it gives the current a direct path and you might never know theres a problem until you stick your hands in there. lots and lots of debate.just type in grounding probe on RC and you could read for hours!!!

If something in your tank is wrong and current goes through the tank,grounding probe or not it will still be harfulll to your tank.With a grounding probe it does go ground itself through the wall but the current still has to pass somewere,Find out what causes that,and quick,and fix it
    Derik...

I have a titanium grounding probe as well as GFI receptacles for my power bars.... this does work.

As soon as any electrical device sends stray voltage into the tank, the potential between the titanium grounding probe and the GFI receptacles, causes them to trip to off....

It's just a matter of plugging and un-plugging items into the power bars to find out which is the ofending device..
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

A GFI is a very good thing to have!!!!
    Derik...

Maybe a dumb question, I'm still working my first cup of coffee, but will a GFI work if I have a UPS on the tank's electirical?

Thanks!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

I dont see why not......Just for my info what type and size of ups do you have?
    Derik...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast