Favites declining?

Hello All,

I have a Moon Coral (Favites) that is not as pretty as it used to be. The color used to have a lovely turquoise. It is much more now brown or tan in color. The center of each polyp is still turquoise though. Also the polyps do not expand as much as they used to. The water parameters are OK (pH, salinity, dKH, Ca) and the other corals are doing well (although I did have a sick Sarcophyton Elegans about two months ago - doing better now). I have this coral since January. I would say the color changed and polyp behavior has changed in the last few months. I recently changed the bulbs (175 W, MH), hoping it will help.

Any comments?

Michel
    20 g reef, 72 g reef

I find that they tend to not like very bright light and will go more brown under intense light, however i am talking 400w mh so I'm not sure if the 175 will help it or stress it.. I don't know what else to say, I do think that favias are sometimes finicky corals that often decline in health for no apparent reason.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

sounds like you have the same coral as i do here.
    (it looks a little brown in the pic, but its not, its that turqoise color). I have it about half-way in a cave and it seems to like that spot the best.
    Albert
    My Photos

Thanks for the pic, Albert. It looks a lot like mine. You say it likes the cave position best. How did behave elsewhere? Why do you say it "likes" this position better?

You can look at a few close-upsof the Favites in my photo gallery. These pictures were taken before it started to get brown (not long ago, too...).

Michel
    20 g reef, 72 g reef

well i've always had it on the bottom of my tank, and was turning slightly brownish under my stronger MH lights. once i moved it there, it seems to have gotten its color better and opens larger.
    Albert
    My Photos

looks like a nice one you got there in that pic.
    Albert
    My Photos

Hey Alrha, do you target feed this coral?

Deafboy (-35 dB)
    20 g reef, 72 g reef

I dont target feed anything in my tank - its too big.
    but i do run skimmerless, so that leaves a lot of plankton for the corals to eat (as opposed to skimmed tanks in which all plankton is skimmed out).
    Albert
    My Photos

I will wait to see how the new bulbs will affect the coral. Your lighting setup is much stronger (but the tank is bigger). Hmmm.

BTW, Is the new trigger behaving well? I thought they would do some damage to a reef and other fish.

Michel

PS (to Reefmutt): the toadstool you sold me is doing very well. Thanks!
    20 g reef, 72 g reef

he is behaving himself (so far). this trigger is supposed to me an exception to the rule.
    keep me posted with updates.
    Albert
    My Photos