Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Introducing Lyla and Lucien

I'm determined to get better pics but just couldn't wait any longer to show off my new babies. These are Red Sea Golden Butterflyfish, the fish I most wanted for my new 300g FOWLR. They came from J&L's last Wednesday evening and arrived quite active and started eating less than an hour out of the bag. They're definitely a pair and are pretty much constantly together. They are both between four and five inches but appear bigger than they are because of their shape.

Lucien, the male, is a bit bigger and has a prominant ridge between his eyes. Lyla, the female, is slightly smaller with a smooth forehead. There is very little variation in their stripes and the size difference is so minimal that I wouldn't be able to tell them apart if it wasn't for the forehead thing. Thier "masks" change colour with their mood. It can be a deep dark grey or a pale denim blue and every shade in between.

They are gentle, graceful and their colour is really quite striking in real life but they are definitely not reef safe, they have sampled a bit of everything in the tank. Their tank isn't a reef but I do have some mushrooms, ricordia, zoos, polyps, green tree, etc. They absolutely LOVE aiptasia.

Susan

Gorgeous. I think you could rent them out as aptasia munchers.
    Thanks for the pics.

Sara

These are one of the truly beautiful butterfly fish that one can keep in their tank... and a pair to boot !! Really very nice Susan.
    Rob

SSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOO NICE!!!!!!!!!
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

WOw!!!butterfly fishies I love them......good for you Susan
    Derik...

Thanks guys. Butterflyfish are definitely my favourites. I also have a longnose and a raccoon in this tank. Rocky, the raccoon butterfly, is about the same size as the goldens and was king of the tank when they arrived. He wasn't too happy about them at first. I was worried but there was no real aggression, some chasing and what looked like fake attempts to bite. It was all over the next day by noon and they've been on good terms ever since.

There isn't actually any aiptasia in this tank. I've been moving rocks over from the quarantine tank for them to clean. It's quite something to see, they don't just nip at them they obliterate them with an odd "snicking" noise, like a wet click. Rocky eats them as well but Julien, the longnose, doesn't.
    Susan

Really nice looking fish Susan. Wish they were more reef safe and I had a bigger tank.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Truly magnificent fish Susan...
    You've outdone yourself yet again.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Susan, you never cease to impress me. if i ever set up a FOWLR, those will be in there. their coloring is spectacular, and it must be special to have one of the few fish that actually mate for life.
    enjoy them and keep giving us updates.
    Albert
    My Photos

Great fish Susan...as always...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast