Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

San francisco bay frozen food?

Hi,

When I see posts about frozen food, I almost never hear anyone mention that they use San Francisco Bay brand frozen foods. I always hear about different brands. Is there anyone using SF brand food? Is it any good? Quality? I have some it it (mysis, krill, plankton, and their "marine cuisine" mix). I was just curious if anyone else uses this brand or if there are any issues with it (ie. do they use geletin or other binders that might add PO and Nitrate, etc..???)??
    thanks.
    thien

I used San Francisco Bay brand until last sunday when I had to go out and buy more food. Big Al's (in Montreal) doesn't stock San Francisco Bay anymore so I bought some other brand. Can't remember the brand but it's not their home brand and the stuff comes from China. Hikary or Haraky or something like that...

The fish don't seem to see the difference the feed just as well but up until now I liked the San Francisco more for one reason. The food that I bought floats on the top of the water. I have to dump it infont of a power head to get the food to move around in the tank. I'm happy I don't have an overflow otherwise everything would be in the sump.

I just hope that my hermit crabs and shrimp get enough to eat because almost nothing goes to the bottom of the tank. When I'm done with this stuff i'm going back to San Francisco Bay or any other good recommendation.

Ivan

Hikari is likely the other brand. Big Al's stopped carrying San Franciso bay because it's a Hagen product & they just aren't getting along with Hagen / Super Pet or so my sources tell me.

Anyway, I fed San Fransico beef heart, frozen brine shrimp, emerald entry, and Cichlid Delight to my discus for years & years. They've been eating it since they were the size of a quarter.

I'm trying the hikari stuff & it seems okay.

I think thier a good staple food for my FW fish, I haven't tried thier marine stuff, but I suspect it's the same level.

The hikari frozen mysis I'm not completely impressed with, maybe it was a bad batch but it looks very pale white. I was expecting more of a brown colour.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

The hikari frozen mysis is all white (from the 4 packages I've bought), and mostly water. I'll be switching to PE Mysis soon enough.

I have only ever used hikari mysis shrimp and my corals grow like crazy off of it. My fish also love to eat it. I can't say that I have ever had any problems with hikari. I just bought some of San Franciso bay's frozen baby brine shrimp to feed to my corals, I haven't had any problems so far. The hikari mysis are pretty white, but it's the only kind I have ever used so I'm not sure what it's supposed to look like.

Colby
    "DREAM LIKE YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE LIKE YOU'LL DIE TOMMOROW"

Yes Hikari sounds right!

Like I said, I haven't noticed any difference in the eating behavior of my fish besides the fact that they have to swim more to the surface to get to the food because it floats. If its good? I don't know

Ivan

That's odd that yours floats. The mysis that I have does not float at all. Did you buy the small cubes or the big flat sheet? I have the cubes. I dissolve the cube in a small glass of tank water, feed my fish and corlas, then freeze the rest to be fed next time.

Colby
    "DREAM LIKE YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE LIKE YOU'LL DIE TOMMOROW"

I have used San Francisco Bay frozen products for as long as I have been in the hobby with NO ISSUES.
    Rob

I have the small cubes. I put them in a shot glass with some water from my tank just like you do. Oh well, I can live with it for now, I only have fish to feed and a few shrimp and hermit crabs. No corals for now.

I was buying the San Francisco Bay in slabs.

Ivan

Shot glasses are rather convent for feeding just be careful when your having a few your self .. Might just toss er back before you even realize what your doing
    rob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast