Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Flicking firefish

My firefish (well, actually it is Barry's but I have it) has started "flicking" his dorsal and pectoral fins. Has anyone else ever seen this? He appears very healthy and has great colour. Is he trying to attract a lady friend? Or is it a nervous habit??
    Thanks!
    Gail in Nova Scotia

If you are referring to the back and forth rhythmic movement of the top spike I have not had a fire fish who did not do this any time they were out in view. I consider it to be a normal activity for fire fish. Maybe it is a way to show others "hey this is my spot .. go find your own"
    Rob

Gee, I hadn't noticed it before. Maybe he is just starting to feel totally comfortable in this tank, or maybe I just finally cleaned off my glasses so I can see what is really going on in there! Thanks OSD!
    Gail in Nova Scotia

yes it could be that he is comfy and showing it. How long has he been in the tank Mom?
    Rob

mom??? ..., MOM??!!! Is that you??!!!! ( Sorry Rob..., couldn't resist..., I'll "be nice" now).

Yes do try to be nice LOL LOL
    Rob

The red firefish I have in my do it all the time. Especailly when they come out from under their rock in the morning. Almost like they're waving at you.

The firefish that I had did the same thing. I would say it's normal behavior.

Colby
    "DREAM LIKE YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE LIKE YOU'LL DIE TOMMOROW"

I have had him for several months. Maybe I just wasn't really paying attention! He came from Barry's tank where he had been terrorized by a male cherub and was starving to death and in constant hiding. I didn't see him for the first three days and thought he was a goner. FInally he realized he had been moved into a very peaceful neighbourhood and now I can't take a picture without him in it and he is front and centre all the time. Very bold now. When company comes he is the first to show himself.
    Gail in Nova Scotia

Typical firefish. They hide until they figure it's safe and then they act all bold The flicking thing is just something they do when they're at ease. I think they use that top fin to test the current and adjust as necessary. If he wasn't happy he'd be hiding.
    Susan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast