Now i'm confused!! ID Q

ok so i'm gonna be doing the move of my 110 to the new 220 soon ( I hope) and yes I really have a grin from ear to ear and i'm making a detailled list of all my corals and such to find ultimate light and current for each since I will have sections with high light (400) some with low light some more with higher current (brand spanking new turbelle system ) etc..... I'm getting to my confusion.....

I have what I believed were Green button polyps (palythoa) and durring a search to find the latin name (yah i'm going nuts here...lol ) i found pics and description that they could be zoanthus (zoos I guess) Now can someone please tell me what the hell is the diff?!?!?! here is a pic... pretty pathetic but may help ?! I also feed these guys at least 2-3 times a week directy and they close aroung small meat chunks (if that clue can help anyone lol )
    Thanks in advance for the help!

Carol
    Can we fit one more tank? :P
    Dont mind my spelling mistakes I've got an excuse...I'M FRENCH!

No one? all right I'll just keep calling them Green button polyps then lol but kidding aside I might of found the awnser to my own question, mine seem to grow on their own mat so I guess they are palythoas. If you think I'm wrong please feel free to say so
    Carol

The photo's a bit blurry, but from what I can see your right on both accounts because there is no difference. They look like palythoa, which are a member of the larger zoanthid family (zoo's).
    Keep passing the open windows!

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    I agree they look like Palythoa.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Carolpol just be careful when your moving them. All species of palythoa and most related zoanthids produce a chemical called palytoxin in their mucus and gonads. This is a potent toxin and can be deadly to humans. It's important to wear gloves, especially if you have any cuts on your skin.
    Lynn

Originally posted by Lynn
    Carolpol just be careful when your moving them. All species of palythoa and most related zoanthids produce a chemical called palytoxin in their mucus and gonads. This is a potent toxin and can be deadly to humans. It's important to wear gloves, especially if you have any cuts on your skin.
    Thanks for pointing this out! Anyone who doesnt know beware!
    I found this out about 4-5 months ago! I had been moving them around( ok really infreqently but still ) without gloves! OMG when I read the article about the dead dog I freaked! lol I now have a pair of gloves just for that and for doing cuttings of corals (aint taking a chance on anything anymore :P)
    On my X-mass list is a nice pair of arm lenght gloves among other things.
    Carol