Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Webcam

Webcam

It's been many years since I set up a webcam. Anyone know what the best software and hardware is these days? I was thinking of setting one up for the new big tank.
    Susan

oooh, exciting. cant wait to see it.
    i'm only familiar with apple products (iSight) but wouldnt be able to help you out with windows based products.
    Albert
    My Photos

liv
    I ran webcam32 for a long time.. possibly called webcam at the time.
    www.webcam32.com

you can hook a bunch up, have them email you on movement, have them take pics avery second, or on timer, ... super easy to use.it use to be bundled with a bunch of apps, but I just went on there site, seems like you might also need iSpy...

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Does that cost any money,do you need ahost and a domain?
    Derik...

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Susan,

I've been thinking about the same thing...
    I found something cool...

D-LINK DCS-900 (or DCS-900w for wireless model)...

A webcam with built-in webserver. Just plug it onto your network, open up the appropriate port on your router/firewall, and presto... instant webcam.

Specifications:
    Interface: 802.3/802.3u NWAY Autosensing 10/100Mbps(RJ-45 Jack)
    Sensor: 1/3" Color CMOS
    Frame Rate: 1, 5, 7, 15, 20 or Auto
    Max. Resolutions: 640x480(24-bit RGB color)
    Exposure: Automatic/Manual
    Lens: Fixed Lens(Focus>=20cm;Aperture: F1.8;Focal Length: 6.0)
    Protocol Support:HTTP, TCP/IP, UDP, RARP, PING, ARP, DHCP, BOOTP, PPPoE
    Features: Web Based Remote Access Using Any Java Enabled Web Browser, Integrated Web Server

The D-Link Securicam NetworkTM DCS-900 Internet Camera combines the functionality of video surveillance with the reliability and scalability of Fast Ethernet. With its compact, all-in-one design, the DCS-900 Internet Camera is a low-cost remote monitoring solution ideal for home use. The DCS-900 Internet Camera connects quickly and easily to your existing Fast Ethernet network and a setup wizard will guide you through the set up process to get you up and running in a matter of minutes.

The DCS-900 Internet Camera features a built-in Web server which means that it can stream video images directly to the Internet. Video images captured by the DCS-900 can be viewed remotely by typing the IP address of the DCS-900 into a Web browser. With its easy-to-use Web-based interface, the DCS-900 can be managed and configured from anywhere in the world.

By signing up with one of the many free Dynamic DNS services available on the web, you can assign an easy-to-remember name and domain (e.g. www.mycamera.myddns.com). This allows you to remotely access your camera without having to remember the IP address, even if it has been changed by your Internet Service Provider.

The included Windows-based software provides even more features, allowing you to archive streaming video straight to your hard drive, monitor up to 4 cameras on a single screen, enable motion detection, and update the firmware on your DCS-900 Internet Camera.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

That D-Link looks interesting. I found one here:
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...&sku=D700-2240

When it says it supports up to 8 users does that mean only 8 people can view it online at a time?
    Susan

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    yeah...

oh, and I found it on ebay for less...
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

I was looking for web cams to watch my tank too, but I was looking for something in the 2-4 mega pixel range and couldnt find anything.
    -Dazz

The price on the D-link is a lot less then I expected to see. However I just installed a security cam including ... pan and tilt base withr emote, wide angle/ low light camera, auto VCR activation and motion detector for 150 Canadian. All wireless x10 stuff.
    So if you compare the two the web cam looks pricy.
    Rob

wow that is not the price i was expecting....but do you need a host and a domain....?
    Derik...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast