Anemone sitting on Leather

Hey all,

Anyone have any suggestions what to do here?

http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...php?photo=1523

Both critters are pretty much locked in place. Will one kill the other?

Thanks for any input!

Troy
    "I'm Mad!...I'm mad 'cause I cant see my forehead!" ~ Patrick Starfish, Bikini Bottom, Ocean

This not my area of expertize .... But I am willing to bet that that is not a good situation. The anemone stings just about anything that torches it so the leather is likely being stung. I do not know what the leather can do in defense.
    Rob

Smile

yes!! gentle pry them apart or they'll both probaly die and take your tank with them. your anenome is moving because he is not happy for some reason. lighting,water quality or flow. tell us something about your setup and type of anenome.

Well it's a 67g with 160W NO FL's, two actinic, and two 6700K daylight bulbs. For water flow It's a bit shy, one fluval doing about 270gph, one smaller powerhead doing around 125gph, and two small pumps both around 80gph. As of yet I have no protein skimmer, hopefully will be a christmas gift to myself. The anemone was in a stable spot for quite a while, only recently did he start to move. Problem, is as soon as I start to try and move him he sucks into the rock. The leather is fixed to the rock as well.
    "I'm Mad!...I'm mad 'cause I cant see my forehead!" ~ Patrick Starfish, Bikini Bottom, Ocean

Sounds like not enough light to me. It looks like it's at the highest point of that rock trying to get more light.
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE

definatley not enough light for long term or even short term success. what type of anenome? the only one that is even possible IMO under VHO lighting would be a LTA.you'll have to either upgrade ASAP or sell him.if you didn't take them apart already chances are its to late.

All right here is my opinion:
    I'm sorry to say you have a few things that work against this working out already. Like its been said before the lighting is the first problem. You need MH to keep anemone. They need a great amount of light. It is even said they love reel sunlight. Some have noticed that their anemones will position themselves closest to a real sunlight source in their tanks.
    The second problem is mixing a soft coral like a leather with anemones. They both produce toxins in the water and not running a skimmer or a charcoal filter is just leaving all those toxins in there. So in the long run they will both poison each other. Some people have had success keeping them by doing lots of water changes (weekly) but the experts still tell us not to mix the 2. Now its to be noted that I did and do it, I have the 2 mixed together in my current tank (110 g) I'm running skimmer and major flow and weekly water changes...so far so good.
    Right now the 2 of them have their defences up... both are stinging each other and both might die
    You have a few choices here:
    Like it was said sell the anemone or get proper lighting and filtration before one of them dies. Belive me you dont want a melted anemone in your tank! I had that experience 6 years ago when we were just starting and the repercussions are terrible to the system.
    I dont know if you know of this site:
    http://www.wetwebmedia.com but I have found great information over the last year on anemone keeping there. you take some and ignore some for sure but it helps a lot IMO.
    Carol
    Can we fit one more tank? :P
    Dont mind my spelling mistakes I've got an excuse...I'M FRENCH!

It's a carpet anemone Johnny.

Great job Carol. Even if you are french!

A lot of people think that an anemone can survive on supplimental feedings ...unfortuantely that isn't true. They need enough lighting to support the growth of zooxanthellae algae within their tissues. Without that they will slowly waste away over several months. You have just over 2w per gallon, which isn't nearly enough I'm afraid. Anemones are really cool, but they have very special requirements and most of us don't have the proper setups for them. That's why thier survival rate in aquariums is so dismal.

I agree...seperate them ASAP and hope it isn't too late so that you can sell or trade it to someone.
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE

try putting a clay pot over the anemone...most times that will force them to move.
    Lynn