Thread: Pipe fish

Pipe fish

Well as you see from the picture on the home page here, I have picked up a new addition to my tank. A Orange banded pipe fish. Well it lasted a whole 3 hours in my tank !!! Carpet Anenemie eat it !!! Well what else can I say,,,,,,lol I wasn't going to open up a $150 carpet to get out a $20 pipe fish.

oh ummm....wow.

Pipefish should only be kept in a species specific tank. Unfortunately they aren't the type of fish you can just add to any tank. They have special needs, both enviromental and dietary. Think of them as seahorses with even more specific husbandry needs.
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE

Too sad. I saw the pic and thought it was just amazing. I just looked them up in Scott Michael's book "Marine Fishes", looks like it would have been a hard one to keep anyway. Sounds like they'd need their own tank as CanadianGuy said. Too bad, very cool fish.
    Susan

Neat fish but I was sure that they were on the list of not keepable???
    Rob

OSD,

You can keep pipefish very successfully if you have the proper setup for them. They're definately an advanced fish for someone with a lot of experience, but it can be done.
    James...

the book I have describes them as needing the same environment and food types as Sea Horses. So I guess if you can keep Sea Horses you can keep Pipe fish.
    Rob

I had no idea that it would happen, I know and heard of Carpets eating things but I would never had thought this would happen. I looked into the Pipe fish read about them,,,feeding habits ect...well thought I'd try them out. The Carpet must have liked the treat today, because he is all perked up strutting his stuff now !!

They are similar to seahorses yes. The biggest difference between them is the food. Pipefish feed almost exclusively on live food, and only in rare cases do they accept prepared foods, and even then it usually isn't enough to sustain them without a supply of live food as well. With seahorses if you are patient enough, you can get almost all of them to accept frozen foods eventually.

Carpet anemones will eat anything they can catch. A slow moving pipefish would be easy prey.
    James...

I almost picked one up , they have them in big al's in oakville,
    i was there 2 days in the row to wach them eat and they eat
    frozen bs,I was going to pick un up today but I guess I wont risk it now.
    It's not a hobby,it's an obsession.

(Oakville) Thats where I had picked this one up from,,and yes they were eating frozen foods.