Thread: Naso tang

Re: Naso tang

I don't have one but there is a huge one in the Reef pond at Oakville Reef Gallery.  It's a beauty.  It is so tame and gentle that you can literally pet and feed it from your hand.

One warning, they grow big and fast.  They are a gorgeous fish but will out grow most tanks in very short time.  Here's a link to some info on them.

http://www.animal-world.com/encyclo/marine/tangs/naso.htm

These fish get up to 20 inches so keep it in mind.  
    Good Luck
    ;D
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

RGA, do you have any mitrax crabs in your tank? Have you tried to trim it all way back and throw in a few of em in there? They might chew it all off the rock for you.

They did that for me in the past for a pest macro around when they hit the hobby up here.

Here's one of my tank shots ( 5 years ago?) with the macro algae they took care of:
    [img]www.mops.ca/gallery/Sean1.jpg[/img]

I was happy. I suspect this stuff was much tougher than Dictyota - it was on Figi rock.

If you've tried emeralds, sorry..
    Fishysan ><>
    ---
    180g display main floor, 150g trough, 75g, 20g in basement
    SPS, LPS, softies, many clams & 14 fish
    main: 250w AB DE HQI x 3, 5' x 3 VHO actinic - trough: 400w venki

I've had a naso in my 108 gal tank for over 6 months. I love this fish, one of those that got me interested. When I first got mine he was close 1.5- 2 inches didn't have much of the markings yet and he has grown maybe a inch and some of his marking are coming in. Extremely passive, peaceful, and a completely pig. Funny thing is before buying him I ran into many sites that said that they grow slow. He's with three other tangs and they all get along. I believe the one in the pic though is a blonde naso which are hard to come by. Good luck.

I had a Naso tang and he was a beautifull fish. I also had scads of that algae. My Naso ate every last shred of it. It no longer is in my tank. I got rid of him because he grew to about 5&quot; in no time. He ate everything I would put in. Nice fish for a large reef tank.
    True Perc