Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sea cucumbers

sea cucumbers

its to bad to hear what happen to susan tank... but are all sea cucumbers bad for it they die in the tank... do they all have this toxic defence system in them... just curious was thinking of getting one myself ...there is one type that is suppose to be reef safe a brown colour one

I may be wrong but yes, all cucumbers release toxin...same as sponge or nudibranch...

but if you have a bigger tank, it may be ok since system will
    absorb such toxin (if dead animal is taken off fast).

That's what I read from a book...

There are many different types of cukes. Some are "very" dangerous to have in a tank and some are not. An easy usual way of telling them apart is the highly colored ones are most often dangerous and the dull, drab ones are good. However, there are some of the "good" types that are commonly available that are worthless to have in the tank because they are a filter feeder rather than a "mopper" and they end up not cleaning the sand or anything and actually consume what you try to feed the tank for the corals instead.
    Frank,
    Do what I told you in the PM about the cukes and you'll be good. I actually had those good types die twice in my tank and even though they spilled their plumbing, it didn't do anything at all to the tank. They are not a toxic kind.

By the way, what happened to Susan's tank??!!! Can someone link me to where this is mentioned? I haven't been on much often lately and I'm curious if I missed someone having some bad luck.

Look at the thread called 'SOS' to get the low-down (there is also one in the AARG forum on the same theme). She had a sea cuke die in a Tunze unit and release a toxin which appears to have killed many of her fish :-((((((
    Nick

Frank,
    read the article Nick posted a link for. I would also like to reiterate here what you and I spoke about earlier this evening at my place. In my tank, I have no intakes except for my overflow. This would be the most ideal setup for things such as Cukes and Anemones.

wow, your overflow handles ALL the flow in your tank? mine does about 1200gph, but i want more (via powerheads - Streams).
    what is the need of a cuke? what can it do that snails cant? i've never had one as i find the snails do fine keeping the sand clean.
    Albert
    My Photos

I have a black Cuke and a black one with pink stripe. And it doesnt seem like they are hard to keep in a 90 gal.
    Newbie in training

i cant see it's worth the risk, unless you have a special tank set up especially for cukes etc
    We need more Indians!

Cukes suck in dirty sand at one end, digest the crud on it, and clean (er) sand leaves the back end.

So they could be better at stirring and cleaning your sand bed than a snail. I don't think you need one if you have a good collection of snails, star fish, and "creepy crawlies" to shift the sand.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Susan's cuke was reef safe. A black knobby. or so we were told by those who know about these things. All cukes have some toxins. SOme are quicker to release them. If they jsut die of natural causes- no problem. If they feel under attack- look out.

I love my cuke. He has a crab living in his mouth. But boy am I ever watching him now! If you have a cuke that crawls the glass- look out!
    Gail in Nova Scotia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast