KalkReactor Sediment

Question: in my Precision Marine KalkReactor, there is say about an inch of white powder that is settled on the bottom and mixes in when i turn the mixing pump on. i generally do not add any more kalk into the chamber till i see that what is in there has already been all used up. but i noticed that the top-off (through this reactor) is no longer raising my pH as it used to.

1) Could this powder just be settled out calcium or the like and not be producing kalkwasser anymore?

2) is there anything bad about adding that to my tank? will it still raise my calcium? will it just do nothing? or can it cause a undesireble result?

3) can i just add more kalk powder to the reactor and ignore this dust? or do i need to clean it out first (either by disconnecting it and washing it out, or just letting it all go into my tank if its not bad).

4) what causes this to happen? did i do something wrong? or is this normal?

thanks for the help
    Albert
    My Photos

Just from my reading, I don't have a kalkreactor:

1) It's possbily a participate of a insoluble metal, many metals will bind with the calcium & become insoluble (including copper):

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/may2003/chem.htm

2) I doubt it, but that's my extrapolation from reading the above.

3) Don't know.

4) I think the build up is normal.

If I get the chance between my tests today I'll look for & post some of the other articles I've read about kalkreactors.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

thanks krugar so much, that really is kind of your.
    i use only RO/DI water with a TDS of 0, so i doubt it could be metals - but i guess i could never know.
    Albert
    My Photos

The metals are in the Kalk not the water

According to the article food grade lime contains Si, CaO, Magnesium & Alkali Salts, Fluoride, Lead, Arsenic, Acid Insoluble Substances, Heavy Metals, Al, Fe, S, CO2, P, Mn, Ca, and Crystalline Silica.

Some of these will bind and turn insoluble, ending up on the bottom of your reactor.

The article has much more detail.

I think brand-name Kalkwasser is more pure but still contains a shopping list of impurities. Regent grade would be the most pure.

Cheers!

i use aquaruim kalk (ESV, Seachem) etc.
    is it bad then if it gets in my tank? would i need to clean it out? or do you think i can just add more kalk to the chamber and continue using it?
    Albert
    My Photos

Read the section "Precipitation of Metals from Limewater" and "Copper Solubility"

Of note:

It turns out that at high pH, many metals form insoluble hydroxide and oxide salts. In fact, high pH is a generally useful way to precipitate or limit the solubility of many metals.12-16 If the limewater solution is allowed to settle so that only clear limewater is dosed, then these insoluble hydroxide salts will precipitate from solution and collect on the bottom of the limewater reservoir. For example, copper in the starting lime (or in the water used to make it) may precipitate as copper hydroxide. The following two sections go into detail on the mathematical treatments of metal solubility. For aquarists not interested in such discussion, it is reasonable to skip down to the section titled “Precipitation of Copper from Limewater: Experimental Results”.

The equation governing the precipitation of copper hydroxide is:

(7) Cu++ + 2OH- ŕ Cu(OH)2 (solid)
    My opinion, based on the article is to clean out the bottom of your reactor from time to time & don't worry about it.

Cheers!

sounds good. thanks.
    Albert
    My Photos