MH or VHO for a 33gal setup...

Currently I have 4 NO bulbs over my 33gal. I'm ugrading soon and just want to get an idea as to what I should go with. I'm thinking MH, but VHO is a possibility too. My tank is 36" long, and 18" deep. I was thinking one 175W MH 10k bulb and run two of my NO bulbs with super atinics. Will one 175W be enough? I would like to keep clams and some of the basic SPS stuff.

I'm thinking 175W because I can get the ballast for this at a very good price. Will a 175W bulb cover an area of 36" fine. Maybe I could just put the corals that require more light towards the middle of the tank.

I guess the alterantive to MH is VHO and after I did up the costs of the bulbs every six months compared to 1 year with the MH, I thought MH would be cheaper in the long run.

What is the electrical cost of running MH compared to VHO? Is MH very expensive or is it just based on the wattage regardless of what type of lighting I'm running.

Thanks!
    Leafy

Personally I would go with VHO or Powercompacts on a 33. If you want to keep SPS corals, then maybe try a single 175W or 250 W metal halide. Over a 33 gallon go with a pendant system as the heat over the small tank will be incredible.

Just my opinion.
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Go for the MH :-P

It all boils down to what you want to keep in the tank. Let us know what your plans are and we'll reply better.

Personally I would go with the VHO's or the PC hood. As was mentioned in a previous post, the heat from MH over a 33g would be great.( even at 175w) Not that MH don't have their place because they do. As far as the clams are concerned I do know that they do require a lot of light. Maybe someone else with more experience with them could shed more light (no pun intended) on your lighting requirements for them.
    Cheers

Well, I'm not sure heat will be an issue. My tank is in a fish room with the front facing our rec room.

I don't have it setup now, but I will have an exaust fan to the outside from the room. It's in the ceiling now, but no power to it.

As far has the lighting, I guess my question is:

Will one MH bulb be enough over a 36" long tank? I was thinking 175W, but could do a 250W if 175W wouldn't be enough.

I assume I will have to have some atinics on top too. Will the normal outputs I have now be enough.

I'm thinking (1) 175W 10000K bulb with (2) Normal Output super Atinics.

Is this ok for clams, basic SPS, LPS, and softies? If not, can someone please give me their opinions on what they would do with a 36" long and 18" deep tank.

Thanks!
    Leafy

If I were you, I would get a 250w for keeping SPS & clams. As for softies, you could still keep some but they would have to be acclimated SLOWLY!!.. because there are some that do well under heavy lighting. As for the actinics, it again depends on the brand of lights you get and personal preferance for the look. Welcome to the hardest to decide and most contraversial subject in reefing... lighting!!

every subject in reef keeping is the hardest to decide and the most complicated! how did G-d get it right in his first try? you gotta give him credit.