Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need advice...

Need advice...

Went out last night and finally got my Majestic Angel :rockon: Nice little one about 3-4 inches with beautiful coloring... Well... This morning I went to see how she was doing and saw that she got into the carpet anemone and wiggled it's way out no problem but now has alot of green tentacles on her one side including some on her eye... Will she be ok? and will the tentacles just fall off?? I know she learned her lesson because she's on the other side of the tank right now but hope she'll be ok any help would be appreciated.

whoa. i just hope he doesnt go back into that anemone. i wouldnt be able to tell if the fish will be ok, i would just keep a close eye on him and hope for the best i guess.
    Albert
    My Photos

I don't think he'll go back in there because right after she stayed on the opposite side of the tank.. I just wasn't sure if the little tenticles would fall off in due time and what I should look for as a sign that the angel is not doing well.

i wouldnt know how to help you there. i would guess that if the fish got out in time and survived, then it's off the hook (so to speak). But i have no such experience i can speak of.
    Albert
    My Photos

I'm more concerned about the small tenticles stuck to it's body.. She's swimming around right now so I think the shock has worn off But just want to see if there is something that I can do so that she doesn't get any sort of infection if any from the tenticles. thanks ALRHA for your input right now any help is good help

Is she eating? Is she acting mostly normal? The general consensus is that carpet stings are not always fatal, and if the fish appears normal, it has probably won the battle with the toxins. I would assume the tenticles will fall off, as they cannot live without the rest of the anemone. Some people add stresscoat or Melafix to help, but the jury is out on that.
    Carpets are known for moving all over the as well as eating fish, so you may run into difficulties again.

Hope this helps,
    Sara

I suspect she'll rub the tentacle bits off on the sand or rock. I can't see them causing any further damage. I agree with Sara, Stresscoat might not be a bad idea, it's reefsafe.
    Susan

What exactly is stress coat and how do you use it? My angel looks ok and is swimming around alot.. I fed the tank just after the incident happened so not sure if she's eating but tonight will be a tell tale sign for sure I darted home quickly for lunch and it seemed that she had a few less tenticles on her but maybe it's just my eyes hoping

Stress coat is a product from aquarium pharmaceuticals that has 3 basic functions:
    1) It is used as a water conditoner and removes chlorine
    2) It replaces the protective slime coating on fish which can be removed from stress and may make the fish more susceptible to disease/parasites
    3)Helps to repair damaged skmn and fins
    It is totally safe to use in a tank but some people find it causes their skimmers to go out of whack when recommended amounts are used (me included).
    It is an inexpensive product and can be found everywhere.

So then if I use this and I might go out and buy it tomorrow shoule I have my skimmer and fluval turned off for any period of time?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast