Thread: Safely lower PH

Safely lower PH

I've borrowed a digital PH meter from a friend (thanks volitan) and hooked it up last night... when i went to bed the ph was 8.1 and when the lights came on this morning the ph is 8.35. I'm assuming that during the day the ph climbs to a level that it probably should'nt... Can someone suggest a way to safely lower my ph without throwing calcium and alk out of wack ?

thanks,
    Nick.
    ======================
    sold the 77gallon back in 2005, looking to setup a nano

Do you dose KW?
    I think you should wait and see what will happen over a few days before you try to change anything. Just remember that before yesterday you never had a ph probe and things were fine. Test your calc, alk and double check the ph with a test kit.
    I don't really think that one should ever need to acidify a tank - almost always the opposite is the problem. Usually when all of the parameters are good, the ph takes care of itself.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

well my calc and alk are at 420 and 7.4 (i know thats a litle low for alk) and for the last month i've noticed that my corals looki much better in the afternoon than in the morning (so i assumed maybe they get better as the ph increases over the day?) so i started using a salifert ph test kit in the morning and evenning and it seemed as if the ph was low as 7.8 in the morning and above 8.3 at night...

so i borrowed the digital ph meter that right now (10:30) reads 8.36 but the salifert kit indicates 8.0 .... so now i'm not sure which one is more precise (i would assume the digital) and whether i should do anything to correct the situation as the ph increases over the day... I wont do anything today, just watch it for a few days to try and figure out exactly what is going on.

again, my lights come on at 9, and the corals seem to look at their best/healthiest around 1:00 and then they start to close up again around 9:00 an hour before the lights go out.

maybe this is normal ??
    ======================
    sold the 77gallon back in 2005, looking to setup a nano

your description of your corals reaction the light throughout a day sounds normal to me. On a day to day basis, the change of ph in 24 hours isn't going to make the corals look better or worse. Corals can be perfeclty happy in water with a ph of 7.9 all day as much as they can be happy in a ph of 8.2 or 8.4. Its the whole package of water parameters which dictates a coral's happiness- ph alone will not do it- unless, of course, we are talking about extreme levels, and in your case we aren't.
    Did you recalibrate the ph meter before using it in your tank- it could be out of whack- i'b be more inclined to believe the test kit than the meter, actaully. SAlifert are pretty reliable kits.
    Also, raising your alkalinity a little to maybe 9 or 10 will help to stabalise the ph as well as raise it----BUT---don't do anything just yet- try to get some sort of agreement between the test kit and the meter before you do anything to the water parameters-. Can you borrow another test kit from someone to triple check the other test kit and the meter?
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high