CAT

weird cerith snails

I brought home the snails I bought at the meeting today, acclimated them, and put them on the glass near the surface of the water in the tank.  Most of them are right out of the water now and would be trucking around the carpet if not for the little lip on the trim.  Never had these snails before, I thought they stayed on the sand.  Are they tidal, or confused?  :-/

Cherry
    Don't take life too seriously; no one gets out alive.

photo gallery: http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/showgallery.php?ppuser=424

ijo

Re: weird cerith snails

give em time CAT... they will find their way to the bottom(or you can always give em a push.. lol).  They climb the glass when the lights are out... you'll find roughly 10% on the glass durring the day but most are on the substrate.  Hope this helps

IJO

They do wander, but they are great for cleaning the glass where the sand starts and half an inch down into the sand - that area you don't usually get with the magnet. I like em!

Part of their reproductive cycle might involve exiting the water - some do. This type of snail readily breeds in our tanks which is super.

I wish my trochus would breed again, I've lost a number of them over the last two years of moving. Had TONS before - they rock.
    Fishysan ><>
    ---
    180g display main floor, 150g trough, 75g, 20g in basement
    SPS, LPS, softies, many clams & 14 fish
    main: 250w AB DE HQI x 3, 5' x 3 VHO actinic - trough: 400w venki

CAT

Actually, most of them have disappeared into the rockwork so I don't have a clue about whether they're alive or not. &nbsp;They aren't in the sand because it looks too smooth. &nbsp;I only see 2 of them tonight - they're on the glass, right out of the water. &nbsp;

I know they're active mostly at night, maybe I'll get the flashlight out later and see what I can find. &nbsp;
    Don't take life too seriously; no one gets out alive.

photo gallery: http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/showgallery.php?ppuser=424

I realize this is a very old thread but it came up when I was researching Cerith Snails.. I have a couple in my tank at the moment and they display the same behaviour. They seem to like to stick out of the water a little bit at the top of the tank. I actually thought the hermit crabs had done away with them as I had not seen any of them for a few days.. then all of a sudden there they were at the top.

our seem to hide in the sand be till feeding time then you can actually watch them pop out of the substrate its pretty neat. I thought they were all gone as well... Sneaky lil' buggers.

Quote Originally Posted by nallender View Post
    then all of a sudden there they were at the top.
    double check your parmaters and wait, maybe there's something really tasty up there :b16:

all your other inverts are acting normal??
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Yup, everyone else is acting normal.. parameters are all good.. Either the ceriths were burrowed or I didn't see them at the top due to the black frame of the tank. The one is at the top near the front and I cannot see him unless I look from the side up.

I don't clean the glass with the magnet up there as often as I do the main glass but it is still very clean. I wonder if they just enjoy being near the surface for some reason.

And I have two Koralia 3's pointing upwards so the surface is agitated and not filmy..

like a skimmer the agitation will probably leave behind some tasty bio-film that is like chocolate for the little guy. if the others are all happy i wouldn't worry to much about him. :b16:
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery