Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help! My clown Fish is sick!

My female Perc is acting weird. She hasen't eaten for three days. She is panting like crazy and swimming around like she's drunk. There doesn't appear to be anything on her except a small patch on top of her head that is slightly lighter then the rest of her body. you can barely notice it though.

Any Ideas? Please help I really don't want to lose her.
    :fish3:Piatchie:fish3:

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

The book says ...
    Diminishing Appetite = Slow poisoning, Low PH, or Tuberculosis

Abnormal swimming behavior = Usually Poisoning

"Hopping swimming movements = Swim bladder infection .. usually bacterial.

Heavy irregular respiration = Ammonia poisoning, metal poisoning, low O2, carbon dioxide poisoning.

Being that only one of the two is affected you may want to consider treating for swim bladder infection which is usually caused by low temperature. Treatment involves moving the fish to a warm tank (82 - 86 degrees) and feed food that has been soaked in aureomycin.

Have you ever treated this tank or fish with copper or zinc? How long have you had this clown? Check the water parameters.

Looks like theres alot of fish in that 23 gallon. Its almost safe to say there are too many fish in that small tank. Not to say that this is what is causing illness but for sure a small tank with that many fish might have higher stress levels, and stress weakens fish, makes them more prone to getting ill.
    But what do I know...
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

I don't dissagree that it's a lot of fish for a 23 but they have all been in there for at leat 8 months, so I don't think it's overcrowding. All parameters check out fine:

Ph---8.2
    Amonia--- 0
    Nitrate-- 0
    Salinity---1.024-1.025

The temperature of the tank is about 82-84 degrees, always has been. Tank is set up for about 18 months and she was the first fish in it. I have never, to my knowledge, put copper or zinc in the tank. The only think that I have ever used for treatment was Greenex for ick, and Chemi Clean for red slime algea. Both of these wre at lest 4-5 months ago.

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

Are all of the marine fish you list in one tank??? A 23g???

If so that's incredibly overstocked. I know you say that they've been in there for a long time, but it seems like the problems are starting to surface now. I would seriously think about thinning out some of those fish...especially the tang and mandarin goby.
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE

I'm working on a 50 gal as we speak. I can see the tang but why the manderine. he's the smallest fish in the tank.

i cant believe how many fish u have in that tank, A TANG in 23g, unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!
    We need more Indians!

We need more Indians!

With this tank being so heavily stocked I would strongly suggest you MOVE this 'possibly" sick fish to a QT set up. If he proves to be sick and its contagious all the other fish in the tank will be exposed very quickly. In spite of what looks like good water quality the tank is definitely over stocked.
    Rob

Originally posted by piatchie
    I can see the tang but why the manderine. he's the smallest fish in the tank.
    It's not his size that's the problem. It's his appetite. Mandarins need at least a 100g tank with tons of LR. A smaller tank just can't support the live food that a mandarin needs to survive. Even people that get them to eat frozen are slowly starving them. They need the pods to be happy, healthy and live to thier full potental.

While you're at it, I'd yank the coral beauty too. They need at least another 10g...that doesn't sound like a lot, but it is.
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast