vacation proof my tank

hey guys and gals....

so i leave for a few days in orlando and a week on a cruise on thursday. my bro-in-law is taking care of my tank. i need to vacation proof my tank....so i was thinking of placing some sponge over my intakes to my filters and powerhead. any other tips?

thought i would leave a weekly "to do" list. am i missing anything.

any tips??

tell him to feed lightly. You may want to think about it before you put sponges over the intakes to the pumps. Those sponges could get dirty pretty fast and CHANGE the amount of water being serviced by those filters. I know you don't want to worry about your fish getting sucked in there while your gone but unless you watch your tank 24 / 7, there is really no difference while your gone as compared to when your there. It could happen any time. Just tell the tank sitter to check the intakes every time he checks the tank.
    Rob

good tip....thanks

have a good trip man, don't do anything I wouldn't do. So in other wordds do whatever seems good a the time, lol. The weekly to do list sounds good, just go over with him before hand and have someone else to fall back on or help him if anything goes south.

0h and dont worry, sure it will all be fine man. Be sure and drink lots of beverages that contain copeous amounts of alcohol. LOL

i would give him the phone number of your LFS or some reliable fish keeper he can call in the event something goes wrong and he can not get in touch with you on the cruise.
    Albert
    My Photos

Do "power off" checks to make sure he doesn't have a flood if there is a power failure. Also make sure your top-off method is bulletproof. Many disasters are associated with top-off problems.

Having an emergency number for a local reefer is a great idea. I am luck to live down the street from one of our local moderators.

I leave my tank alone for a couple of weeks at a time with my wife watching it. It does my tank some good becuase it is the only time I don't mess with it.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Another good idea is to have measured daily feedings in something like a pill holder or even just in separate baggies.
    Not everyone has the same conception of what a "light" feeding may be.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Set up your computer so he can get onto AC whenever he wants. Give him the names of the people whos jugement you trust on the site this way he can ask questions if he needs to. Definately separate the food into predetermined portions, fish will always seem MORE hungry and your nice friend will not want to be starving them, and then disaster strikes.
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

thanks so much guys.....