Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy R.I.P. Norma the Clown Fish.

Well after a 4 day struggle, Norma, my female Percula Clown lost her battle. It's a very sad day for me as she was the first Marine fish that I ever owned. I originally got into Marine because of this paticular fish. I bought her from the lfs before I even had a marine tank. A friend held on to her for me until I got my tank ready for her to live in. My male Clown seemes to be coping well with the loss, Although he does seem to be searching for her around the tank.

I had a local Reefer come and see her yestrday and apparently she had some sort of parasite that is almost impossible to cure so I couldn't have done anything to help her. It had nothing to do with overpopulation of the tank.

As for my male, will he accept another clown fish in the tank? I was hopping to get another once I get my 50 gal up and running in a couple of months.
    :fish3:Piatchie:fish3:

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

Sorry to hear about the clownfish. Did your friend say what kind of parasite it was? Just wondering if it is something that could get passed on to your other fish. If so there may be steps you can take to prevent it.

I'd hold off until you get the new tank set up as you said but I don't see any reason why your remaining clown would't take a new mate. It might be safest to buy a much smaller clownfish next time around. In any pair the largest, most aggressive clownfish will become a female. If two are of similar size they may have quit the battle for dominance before it's decided who gets to be the big mamma. The clown you have now might reject a newcomer of similar size but if the new fish is much smaller he would submit sooner and the current fish would become the female.
    Susan

Sorry about your loss piatchie I would agree with Flame angel and wait as well until the 50 gal is up and running.. This way in case they don't get along at first they have more space to themselves.

Thanks guys. I will be waiting. I don't have the heart to get another one right now anyway. Since the remaining Clown, Nemo, is only small himself could I go with a much larger fish instead. If I tried to put one smaller I'd be afraid that my Tube Anenemes would get him.

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

How would you tell if the larger fish was male or female?

A smaller one is likely a juvi or a male & would eventually get along with Nemo.

A female would fight to gain dominance over Nemo, which might work, but only if Nemo hasn't turned into Nemette first.

But I'm thinking out loud...

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

If Nemo becomes Nemette will she becone he again if you introduce a larger Female. Or is it a one way switch? I think that I am going to have to leave my Tube Anenemes in the small tank if that the case. At least till the clowns have a chance to grow a little.

I think it's a one way switch. Once it's done, there is no reversing it. Little tiny clowns are not that hard to come by, especially if you make your wishes clearly known to a lfs.

Finding a little one is not the problem. Most of what the lfs has been getting are only about 1 1/2" long. The problem is keeping him from thinking that he can sleep in my Tube Anenemes!!!!

Some people put strawberry containers over their anemones until the clowns and other fish get used to them being there. That could work.

Could work......Would have to be big one though. The opening of the smallest Tube Anenem is about 4" in diameter and the largest is almost twice that in the night time!!!! I've really got to get a camera!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast