Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Skimmer for a 50 gal.

Just wondering if anybody has some suggestions on a good skimmer for a 50 gal tank? I would like to get something that is good for more then 50 gal cause I will eventually be upgrading. ( I have a 75 gal in the basement that's dieying to see some salt!) any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm going to run a Rena XP3 filter ( I know canesters are not the best but I already have it.) And I was planning on buying my lights fron Big Al's. This is the one I was going to get:

www.bigalsonline.ca/catelog/product.xml?

Is this o.k.? I was hopping to get Meridian Substrate but my BF has seen bought me a bag of Aregonite so I will be using that mixed with a little cilica to make up the extra pnds that I will need. As for salt I have ordered a bag of Reef Crystals.

I hope on the right track and if I'm not I hope that you guys could help get me there. I really hope to get this up and running real soon.:biggrinbo

p.s. sorry, I meant to post this in "just getting" started"
    :fish3:Piatchie:fish3:

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

That link doesn't work, but what kind of lights were you looking for, i find that big als is a little over priced.

Are you looking for a hang on skimmer or a sump style ?
    Mark
    50 Gal SPS/LPS Mixed Reef
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Acrylic City Kalk Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer
    2x175W MH 1x250W MH 2x65W Actinics

Sorry about that.....Lets try it again shall we.....

http://www.bigalsonline.ca/catalog/p...d1=1843;pcid2=

I think the url is too long (sorry, I'm new at this) so just click on this one...then when your in there click "Lighting" on the left...Then "Moon Lighting"...It's the 5th on down on the left:
    Coralife Lunar Aqualihjt Deluxe Series 36" for $449.99.

It's actually the cheapest place I could find it. Everyone else wants around $800 +.

Just a hang on skimmer I don't have the $$ for a sump right now.

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

Agreed, Big Al's is just way overpriced. Lights we bought from IJO(Aquaria Canada) were 200$ cheaper then at Big A's. I will also be ordering a Aqua C Remora skimmer, from what I understand they are alot better then most skimmers even though abit more pricey. You tank is not drilled correct? You'll be using a HOT skimmer?

I was thinking a Marineland H.O.T. Magnum 250, but I don't prtend to know what I'm talking about!:eek4:

Lord have mercy, what is the life expectancy of those bulbs...$100 a crack...but then again its no different that doing VHO bulbs twice a year

Are they Good or Bad? I really don't know much about lighting. I'm not planning on keeping any exotis corals in there just maybe some mushrooms and a few leathers. Are they good for corals though? (if I decided to get say....one of those nice gorgonians.)

I really think the lights are too expensive. you could just get T5 which is better than PC if you would like to have most of the corals available. So basically you just need a ballast (workhorse 7 works great for me), the sockets and the fluo + some wires. the fluo are around 40$ each, the ballast around 50$ the sockets are around 2$ each, waterproof sockets are more expensive though, wires are like 3$ depending oh how long.
    Richard

Hobby Experience: Newbie
    600G system, Sifligoi3x400w with ACLS units, 2xH&S A200-2x1260, Schuran Jetstream 2 Ca reactor, 4xVortech Pump, Tunze Stream 6200, Tunze Wavebox, 4xWavy Sea Plus wavemaker, Oceans Motions 4 way, Prolifux Wireless Controller, Red Sea 100mg Ozonizer, Seachem Pinnacle 200GPD RO/DI

Piatchie,

Go for this;

http://aquariacanada.com/osCommerce/...roducts_id=452

Notice the price difference. Also the H.O.T. Magnum is a filter the same as your Rena XP3 filter but smaller. You need a skimmer like this:

http://www.proteinskimmer.com/productsnew.htm
    second pic.

IJO who owns Aquaria Canada can get you these items at a great price.

For your skimmer, have a look at www.reefsolution.com for some very nice and cheap alternatives (reef 512 and 626). They also have the light you want with the moon light for 190$ cheaper then big als!

Otherwise look for a remora pro, but I don't think that i'll be really big enought for your 75G...

You would have alot more and better options if you get your 75G drilled and install a sump (to put a in-sump skimmer, heaters, pump, etc).

Don't forget that you'll need alot of flow in your tank. Aim for multiple pumps and a total around 1000GPH.

(sorry for posting external links, but Ivan doesn't have any Hangon skimmers listed and he doesn't have the moonligths that piatchie is looking for)

-yvest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast