View Poll Results: What's the smartest fish?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Groupers

0 0%
  • Tangs

7 33.33%
  • Angels

0 0%
  • Puffers

2 9.52%
  • Triggers

1 4.76%
  • Gobies

0 0%
  • Blennies

2 9.52%
  • Clowns

3 14.29%
  • Wrasses

4 19.05%
  • Other (post yours!)

2 9.52%

Question What's the smartest saltwater fish?

Some say tangs, others say groupers. What do you think?

For the sake of discussion, let's say that we're talking about teleost fish (not sharks, rays, dolphins, whales, etc) and that we're talking about the kind that most hobbyists would be able to keep (under 16 inches adult size).

-mj

Flame Hawks in my book. They are pretty smart compared to the other fish in the tank. When I go to the tank all the fish head for the feeding corner regardless of where I am. The hawk on the other hand comes to where I am.
    Rob

Large Angels seem to calculate their actions. Feeding time my Adult Blueface sees me with food and heads strait for the overflow. Hangs out and looks at me until the food hits the tank. He works with me.....very little food gets to the sump. Without food he carries on like I'm not even there.

My tangs are the smartest in my tank. Once the top opens they all congregate at the surface and get first dibs on the food. They also let me pet them.
    Visit my Reef @ NewfieReef.com

liv
    My yellow tang is not the brightest bulb in the box. yet, he's the only one that will let gobies clean him up... so i'd still vote for him

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

This is an interesting issue. Perhaps we should start with a defintiion of "smart".

I have a creasted Blenny and I think that he is definetly the smartest fish I've ever had! He follows me aroud the room no mater where I am he is the closest that he can be to me at all times. I also have a Yellow Tang and a Coral Beauty and they go crazy at feeding time....The Creasted Blenny actually catches food and hides it in his hole in the rock and comes back to get more. When all the food is gone he crawls into his hole and enjoys his supper at his own pace while the Tang and Angel hang around the opening hopping for some scraps. They never get any though.....It's the coolest thing I've ever watched and it goes on almost every night! You don't get much smarter then that!!!!
    :fish3:Piatchie:fish3:

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

I submit that my watchman Goby has it sorted out nicely.

He sits around all day "watching" for "danger", in a tank with no preditors (I'm the biggest threat of them all).

The pistol shrimp labours all day creating and maintaining a network of caves. When I feed them, the shrimp has to fend for himself for the most part and the Goby eats what he wants.

Goby's main trick, I think, was convincing the shrimp that he needed Goby's help.

Having said that, I wouldn't ask the Goby to do any Algebra or anything.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.