CAT

Just moved my critters 1718 klms...

I just moved back to Nova Scotia from Toronto and decided to take my tank inhabitants (lps,softies and fish) with me. I've had some experience doing this since I've moved 4 times in the last 3 years.

The last move was about a 5 hour drive from Ottawa to Toronto (Hi to the maso guys), but this trip took 2 days. The tank I moved last year was a 28 gallon bowfront with a 15 gallon refugium and everything fit (barely) in the wagon. But when it came to planning this move, I realized that I couldn't fit the rubbermaid tubs holding the crittersand rock, the tank and stand and refugium, and the rest of the junk I had to bring with me in the back of the Outback. Sooo, good excuse to buy a new tank. I picked up a really nice 40 gallon oceanic stretch hex with a matching cherry stand in Toronto and shipped it to N.S with the movers about 2 weeks before I left (Hubby was already in N.S.)

Basically, I tore down the old tank down the day before, hit the road for 2 days, then set up the new tank in N.S. on the 4th day.

Everything went according to plan except for one major problem - I'd bought a 300 watt power inverter to plug into the cigarette lighter in the car to plug in heaters. Unfortunately, the dang thing only actually handles 240 watts consistently (should have read the fine print). Murphy's law being what it is, the inverter did not shut itself off as advertised because the load was too much, the cigarette lighter blew out instead. Bottom line, I had no heat while we were driving. Made for a very nervous trip...

For 2 days on the road, the temp in the tubs would drop to about 72 during the day until we hit a motel the first night and the house the second night when I could plug the heaters back in. Luckily, I was using battery powered air pumps so oxygen was not a problem.

I'm actually quite surprised that all the corals made it (some are still sulking a little). The occelaris is fine as is my 3 year old fire shrimp. I did however lose the royal gramma and 2 green chromis - they made into the new tank but I had to fish them out a couple of days later. Too much stress I guess. For me too, I swear I felt every bump on the road.

Good news is that the tank is doing well so far. Some diatoms on the new sand but everything seems to be hanging in there. The new refugium looks a little lifeless except for some bristle worms but I'm hoping the other little critters start to multiply again. I'll post some pics of the new tank soon.
    Don't take life too seriously; no one gets out alive.

photo gallery: http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/showgallery.php?ppuser=424

Congratulations that most of your critters made the trip.

By the way, do you or anyone know what is the normal life span of fire and cleaner shrimps?

Wow- I hope everything settles in quickly for you! And we're really happy to have another reefer in the valley! Welcome back!
    Gail in Nova Scotia

Thanks Cat, this is very comforting to read. Very glad that you posted your experience.

I have been a nervous wreck for a week now about moving everything to the coast again, you showed me that it can indeed be done...yippee

I am making the same move this morning (Thursday) from Mississauga to Tantallon.

I'll let you know how I make out as well.....

CAT
    yeah I'm pretty happy with the results as well.

apoon, not sure how long shrimp are supposed to live. Most people seem to keep them for about a year. This guy I have is quite a survivor. The only advice I can give is that they're realy big eaters - I give this shrimp a big chunk of squid or scallops etc. every day.

dazednconfused, good luck with your move. It's well worth trying to move the creatures because there's very little in the way of lfs in Nova Scotia. I plan on restocking my tank with mail order. Let us know how you make out.

Cat, thanks for the info. I've my fire shrimp for about 8 months now and I also find it a big eater and have been feeding it daily a lot of food.

CAT, when you are ready to mail order let me know. Geopod and Fourtoed Joe and I may want to go in on it with you. THey are just setting up new tanks, and I am always looking for goodies. It could save us all shipping, and then maybe just one or two of us can slip into the airport to pick it up.
    Gail in Nova Scotia

CAT
    Gail, group shipping sounds good to me. My tank is small so I don't need that much, though I certainly wish I could add more... heard that one before?