Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can anyone ID this worm??

StephG found four or five of these worms in his tank and it seems like I may have one up to now as well. Can anyone please ID this worm, I think it "may" be a Palolo Wrom from Vanuatu but im not sure...

Thanks

AK

20G Reef Tank (Starting again...)

art
    I don't know their names. But I have plenty of them in my tank. I think they are very normal in most of the tanks. They may grow alot though.
    Arton

It's kinda hard to be exact, but I'd say it looks like a normal bristleworm to me. Is it somewhat flattish with bristles along the sides?

Toutouche, hehe look at the size of it compared to the quarter Its kinda hard to tell exactly hehe although I did spot a bristleworm on our rock, it was clearly flat and you did see some bristle on the sides and it was also pinkish...was dead though, did not look like this, unless this is what they look like when they are very very small...

AK
    20G Reef Tank (Starting again...)

bump

I have two of these worms in my tank they only come out at night. I do not know the name of them but mine don't hurt anything, they just seem to eat stuff off of the live rock. They have a similar coloration to a bristle worm but they lack the spines. They have a really weird looking mouth that they expose when they eat off the rock, they are very interesting but don't seem to harm anything in the tank.

Colby
    "DREAM LIKE YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE LIKE YOU'LL DIE TOMMOROW"

What?!!! Your eyesight isn't that good?!!! I would say just leave them in there. I'm willing to bet it is indeed a bristleworm. Practically all worms found in a tank are beneficial. There is the exceptionally rare time that a bad one will pop up, but if I were you I'd chance buying a lotto and be more successful at that then getting a bad wormy!!

Thanks Toutouche and Krugar! I don't mind the worms ... I just don't want an explosion of them in my tank as that is not very nice to look at ... especially in a small tank like mine. Do you think they could get out of control ... their numbers I mean?

Thanks,

Steph

If they are the worm that I'm thinking of then no their population will not get out of control. I started off with one two years ago now, I have two. I still don't think it's a bristleworm I don't see any bristles?

If they are in fact a bristleworm then their population will only grow to the amout of food that is avalible to them. They control their own population. As long as there isn't to much excess food they won't get out of controll. I will take a picture of the worm that is in my tank that looks similar when I get back home on Sunday.

Colby
    "DREAM LIKE YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE LIKE YOU'LL DIE TOMMOROW"

Cableguy, you don't see any bristles probably because it is still very small.

Steph, It is very rare for them to get out of control as Cableguy mentioned because nature usually takes care of that with the supply and demand thing for food. However, it isn't entirely impossible for them to get out of hand as some people have indeed had a problem with too many of them. One of these people is Flame Angel a few years ago and I'll ask her to come here and posts the pics she has of them all in her tank. Be warned though..., it's not a pretty sight!! But just to make things clear at the sametime. She used to feed her tank VERY heavily and that is why she had the explosion of them. They are still very beneficial to have and I will say to leave them be in your ank without worrying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast