Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Little Leo my baby volitans lionfish

This is about the most impulsive purchase I've ever made. I had been planning on a lionfish but not until sometime in the New Year. I just couldn't resist this little fellow, his colour is so nice his fins are like a tortoseshell pattern. He's almost 3" long now and doing very well in my 20g quarantine tank but I'm going to set up a new tank for him after Christmas as he'll outgrow this one in short order. Volitans are known to reach 15" in about 18 months.

Leo was painfully shy and afraid when I first got him but he is very tame now and really loves attention. He is a master at begging for food. He's still on live ghost shrimp but I'm hoping to get him onto frozen foods soon. We had a little setback the first time I tried because of my own inexperience. I had tied a thread onto the bare tip of piece of krill. He went for it but the darned thread wouldn't come off. I couldn't let him swallow the thread so I had to pull it out. After that he wouldn't go near anything but the ghost shrimp so I decided to gut load the shrimp and keep him on them for a while and then try again later.
    Susan

Awesome
    Phins Up ^^^^^^^

"How I wish, how I wish you were here,
    We're just 2 lost souls sitting in a fish bowl,
    Year after year......."(Hope it was cycled!)
    Pink Floyd

Very nice fish! What do you keep in your qt tank?

He is a nice one isn't he. 15 inches in 18 months. WOW that's a lot of growth in a short time. How much food will he require to meet that expectation Susan? A few gold fish a day?
    Rob

The quarantine tank is like a mini reef. It has a fine sandbed, live rock and lots of snails, bristleworms, spaghetti worms, live mysis and other pods. I just leave it up and running all the time and feed it whether there are fish in it or not. Very basic equipment - a small powerhead, heater and penguin hang on filter.

You really shouldn't feed goldfish or other freshwater fish to lionfish. They are too fatty and are very unhealthy for the lionfish. Not so healthy for the goldfish either I really need to get him onto frozen food soon. Krill, scallops, shrimp, that kind of thing.

Lionfish are incredibly tough and if they are fed properly can actually reach 17" and live as long as 15 years.
    Susan

It's too bad that they are so poisonous given that they are so beautiful. What if you feed him only SKINNY goldfish
    Rob

Heh, well ghost shrimp are much healthier, this is what I'm feeding him now. They're cheap and easy to feed and much better for them than even the skinniest goldfish. There is also the possibility that a lionfish can get bound up with goldfish skulls. Obviously they'll eat whatever they can catch in the wild, skulls and all. But they wouldn't catch enough large skulled critters on a regular enough basis to cause a problem.

The danger of a bad sting is always there but I've read of many people who actually hand feed their lionfish. I'd do it with gloves and it might be easier to get him to eat frozen foods because I could wiggle them in the water for him. Apparently the trick is to get the fish to believe the food is live so that he'll try it. Once they learn to like the food you don't have to do tricks for him to get him to eat.
    Susan

very nice looking fish

With my lionfish for the first couple days I feed him a couple baby guppies. By the third day he was on prepared foods..not all lionfish adapt this quickly.

Now I just cut up some tiger shrimp into little pieces, grab some chopsticks and wiggle the shrimp bits in the water. He goes right for it. A couple time I fed him a piece that was too big to swallow. No matter..he chomped it down anyway..thought his gills were going to burst. He has a nice lump in his belly now :>)

I've also hand fed him a piece of shrimp without any problems. I've also had my arm in the tank without issue ( 45Gal ). I keep wanted to pet him...but not going to give it a try. If you see him go vertical with his doral spines in attack mode be concerned...otherwise your ok providing your careful. Don't make any rapid movements when your arm is in the tank..and don't shooo him away.

Fantastic fish..really beauty in a reef tank.
    45 Gallon
    x2 96WPC Lights, x2 9W over CPR fuge, x1 36W T5 Actinic
    Remora C skimmer, Ehiem Cannister
    Solon Wrasse,Yellow Tang, Clarkii Clown, Blue Neon Goby, Mandarin
    Assorted Zoo's,Shrooms,Rics, LPS

How did you get yours onto prepared foods Grimstalk. I mean exactly what did you do? String? Stick?
    Susan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast