green stuff on my new pagoda

Hi,

I just received a pagoda cup coral. On one side, the mat is purple, on the other it's green...

Does any one have any ideas what it migth be?

Here's a picture of the green side:

Here's the purple side (normal I'm guessing).

It wasn't completly open on those pictures (been in the tank for an hour or so).

It's now fully open and it looks pretty good. I really wonder what's the green stuff.

On the side that is green I notice what seems like a barnicle (sp?). There's these things that looks like the ring on a feather duster but they are shapped like a hand facing downward that comes out and rubs to catch food I guess.

It's in the hole you see in the top part of the green side... I'm don't think that it's a good thing. I saw the two polyp just below it close when it was feeding and it looks like the tissue might be gone where it's rubbing.

Any idea if I should get rid of it and how...

Thanks for your help!

-yvest

I think the green stuff is just algae. It looks like it's on a side that is easily exposed to the light. The other side is much more vertical. As long as it doesn't spread or get any thicker it should be fine.
    The "hand" thingy could be any number of things. It's probably not any danger to your coral tho. I wouldn't worry about it.
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE

Goth,
    The hand thingy is a barnacle. Leav it be as they are cool and do not harm the coral in any ways. Don't worry as it won't grow big at all. If you don't feed food for your corals, it won't even survive long because it filter feeds just like you corals do.
    About the coloring, the green side is the normal healthy side that is exposed to the light and it is very healthy looking from the pic. The other purple side is just the side that wasn't exposed to the light, much like the underside of many corals.

I noticed that the green side was irridescent (sp?) under actinic, so I figured it probably wasn't algae... (the picuture doesn't look as green as it is).

If the purple side is now getting light, should it slowly become green or will it cause any problems?

Thanks alot for your help!

-yvest

Originally posted by goth
    I noticed that the green side was irridescent (sp?) under actinic, so I figured it probably wasn't algae... (the picuture doesn't look as green as it is.
    As I mentioned, that green is the normal coloring when it is healthy and getting it's light. That is why it's irridescant. It's not algae. You have a healthy coral there.

Yes, if the other side is geting light and is healthy otherwise, it will get the same green coloring and no problems.

Thanks man!

:bananadan

-yvest