Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yellow Tang Coloration

I have a Yellow Tang that seems to be doing just fine but when the light is off the "center" of his body turns brownish. I'm not sure if it is a good or a bad thing? Any Ideas?

Thanks
    Eric

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    It's completely normal for a yellow tang to turn to night coloring. Several different species of fish do this.

My yellow tang went brown and had a very bright white stripe appear the length of its body.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Ah, thanks TM, I feel better now hehehe.

Eric

Maybe your lights go out too quickly...stress on the fish. Have your actinics run at least a half hour past the reg. lights.
    sims dawn + dusk.

As Vince pointed out it is normal. My 3 yellows do the same thing and I have night lighting over my tank. In fact they seem to know when the lights are going to go off and are already settled by the time the lights go off.
    rob

A rapid change in colouration usually indicates stress.

That would hold true if it occurs for no obvious reason. In this case there is a reason for it. The tangs will remain in the brownish hue color with the bright white strip until lights on again and they become active. I have seen them literally change back to yellow in one swim across the tanks length when the lights returns. If it was stress the color would return to yellow soon after they settle down when the lights go out.
    Rob

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    I agree wholeheartedly with OSD.
    This change in colour is not due to stress. Many fish have night coloration. Angels, butterflies, Tangs, even the ever so popular Rabbitfish (such as the Foxface).

While at times it is stress induced, shifts in colour at night is perfectly normal.

I've seen the black markings on my hippo tang change from the normal black pattern, to a shimmering grey an hour after the actinics are only on simulating dusk.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Yup!! No stress, just their "pajama time"!!!! coloration.

Yup! My chromis turn mottled brown. Nothing to worry about . Funny though that some species do this and others don't. The clowns remain bright orange. Guess they feel safe in their ferocious frogspawn so don't need a protective colouration. :-)
    Gail in Nova Scotia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast