Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

CBS Dies in molt?

On Saturday night I witnessed a very weird scene. The Coral Banded Shrimp I've had for 2 years, looked like he was fine one minute standing on his usual perch and the next started shuddering and some of his shell was coming off like a molt, when most of his exo-skeleton was almost off he suddenly fell and just died?? Has anyone ever heard of that before? Also I thought this might have something to do with it, my big sinularia sent out it's sweepers right before all this happened and the shrimp was tugging at them till they finally retracted. Could the sinularia been a factor in the shrimps demise?

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Molting is a stressful event for a shrimp. One of the very reasons for which they are very reclusive after they molt aside from the fact that they are very vulnerable afterwards.

I've heard of many shrimp dying during molting.

Sorry for your loss.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Thanks, TMM, it is a loss he was a monster and a real character, he will be missed. It definitely was an eerie sight and of course the cleaner shrimps and crabs ripped him apart in two minutes, which kind of po'd me...

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    It is a sad sight indeed. I've heard that low iodine levels may be a factor in this. However Iodine is also very dangerous to dose to a tank.

It does appear however that you have a very efficient janitor crew...
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Very efficient indeed, the other shrimps are fine and molt regularly, xenia colony thriving and I use Essential Elements which has Iodine so I am a little bewildered...

Bummer about your CBS but these things do happen. I have also heard that if the new unhardened shell is deformed in any way for any reason the critter in question will die.
    Rob

Rob, is that for all shrimp or just CBS?

It applies to all exoskeleton Critters. They can also be killed if the new shell is not big enough for the new grown body. This can be caused by poor water quality and or as Vince pointed out low iodine levels. Water changes is the best defense against this. trouble with exoskeleton critters is a yellow flag unless they have passed away of old age.
    Rob

What's the average age for a shrimp, any idea?

someone else may be able to give you information on their life expectancy. It would be nice to have a chart of fish etc life expectancy.
    Rob.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast