Banned

Help.. Where can I get...

Aragonite sand here? I am in Edomoton alberta.

Bomix white playsand is not avalible here, and to have it shipped will cost 2x the price(or more) of the sand itself.

I need close to 350 lbs of this stuff.

can anyone suggest any alternatives to this? I was hoping for white sand.

Anyone in this area know where I can get this for cheaper then 700 bucks(this would be what I would need to pay for 350 lbs and have it shipped)

check out www.mops.ca
    I got a grand total od $617.35 for 12 bags @ 30lbs each that's with shipping and taxes to alberta (with canada post)
    Adam

Banned
    Thats still way more than I should have to pay. I was curious about the avalibility of some tropical play sand or somethign similar to bomix play sand. It sells for like 3 bucks for 50 lbs bags in the states and in toronto was around 10 bucks a bag.
    Either way the price is FAR less than the 30 bucks for 20 lbs bags they want at the aquarim shops nearby here.
    (Pretty much all they do is buy the bomix stuff and then repackage it)

Cool

yes, go to your local masonary [brick/rock' company and ask for masonary sand. itcomes in different shades of white and off white. its silica sand. or, phone local rock/quary companys and ask for sand blasting sand. It works well. SOUTHDOWN would be preferable but you'd have to take a trip acroSs to the US.

Banned
    need non silica based actualy.. I did look at that but was told that silica based was a bad choice.

This is for a salt water reef tank if that helps.

(BTW southdown was one of the choices I have reserched.. as well as bomix, Yardright, and a few others. seems that most of this stuff comes from the south eastern coast and the cost to ship here is just increadible.)

Anyways.. is silica sand safe?

you should be able to find aragonite in edmonton, check with the smaller shops, less overhead, should get it cheaper. it's the shipping from MOPs that hurts. Carib-Sea is quality. There is no substrate substitution for a saltwater tank. do some research, the benefits of aragonite can't be matched!!

Banned
    anyone IN edmonton can give me a idea of which store would have a half-assed decent price?

hey, did you check with www.jlaquatics.com at least they are in vancouver, shipping would be alot cheaper. did you check around in edmonton?

kimberley,

Aragonite is preferable, but silica sand works fine. I have one tank with carib sea aragonite, and my seahorse tank has black silica...they're virtually identical in their parameters. I'd say get the aragonite if you can, but if you can't don't stress about the silica.

Oh and if anyone tells you you'll have algae problems with silica they're wrong. The tank sith aragonite has a ton of algae and the silica tank has never once even had a spec of it!
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE