View Poll Results: What substrate in your tank?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bare Bottomed

2 9.52%
  • Deep Sand Bed

5 23.81%
  • Shallow Sand Bed

11 52.38%
  • Other

3 14.29%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Substrate Poll

Substrate Poll

out of curiosity -

What substrate do you keep in your tank?

Have a stance on a DSB vs BB debate?
    Uneasy compromise with a Shallow SB or CC?
    Some kinda plenum?

I've read a ton of dogmatic arguing on other boards and would respect your opinions.

I made the ultimate mistake on my first tank with a deep crushed coral bed. :wha?: Ouch.

Main tank is 3" of cc. Tank at work is 3" of aragonite (sp?) and 1" of cc. I like the setup at work better then the one at home. Next tank will be all sand!

Main tank is 1-2" crush coral, sump is 4-5" aragonite, similiar to Jaubert's plenum.

Shameless bump!

Maybe if I qualify my poll i'll get a few more responses -

I'm getting a new tank on Sat - 120 gal.
    I'm going to have mostly SPS with a few LPS transferred from my 30 gallon.

I've read a lot regarding Deep Sand Beds (DSB) on other forums, the arguments both for and against get pretty heated.

I think I like the idea of a Bare Bottom tank (BB), exporting nutrients as much as possible, rather then allowing a Deep Sand Bed (DSB) to absorb them and (potentially) lead to problems years down the road.

... but asthetically I like the look of Sand! So I'm thinking of a compromise -

Shallow layer of sand (1/2 inch - inch) in display with a sump and refugium with macro algae for nutrient export, heavily overskim and vacuum out as much det. as possible weekly.

I'm not sure though, how my LPS will do in a high flow tank so i'm still weighing the options here.

Some of you guys have phenominal tanks and I was hoping you could share whats working and why.

Thanks in advance.
    Don't Panic Feel free to visit my blog -> Internet Tough Guy.

hmm I see 5 people so far have a Shallow Sand bed - indicative of the recent claims a Deep Sand Bed (DSB) will eventually turn on you or just a coincidence?

Or are other reefers sitting on the fence like me and compromising in their tanks when it comes to substrate?

My two tanks right now have about 3" of CC. I am setting up a new 50gal before X-mas and hopping to do about4" of arregonite. I was hopping to use white playsand cause I love the real white look but there are no suppliers of the stuff in NL!:bawling:

Oh well I guess the the aregonite will have to do for now!
    :fish3:Piatchie:fish3:

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

I really don't like my CC bed. Its so deep and traps crap so efficiently - vacuuming is such a PITA. i don't like to vacuum my house let alone the fish tank :-P

Just to clarify - the term argonite can refer to both sand and crushed coral, correct? It's my understanding that argonite is the material that both can be composed of?

I see the term argonite used to mean Sand, not sure if it's entirely correct... Can anyone comment? (thinking of the newer members here).

After much reading I settled on the plenum method. I use 1.5" SeaFloor Special aragonite, plenum, then 2" of Aragamax Select. Basically 70 lbs of Seafloor and 90 lbs of Aragamax.
    180g with 2 x 54g corner bowfront bookends. 220 FOWLR in the works, 75g sump, 75g fuge, 75g QT.
    Solaris I4 72", 2 x 150 HQI Outer Orbit Pendants, Reeflo Orca 250, Profilux controller, Tunze 6101's and 6055's, Deltec CA Rx, PM Kalk Mixer, PM SR45 reactors.

IMO CC is much larger then Aregonite. CC is like little tiny shells while Aregonite is more like sand. At least the stuff that I have if anyway!

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

as for CC traping stuff I have to agree but I have a Goldenhead Sleeper Goby and he keeps it nice and clean for me so I don't have to do any "vacuming". I don't like to vacume my house much less my tank!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast