Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What about the Newbies

This forum seems to be focussed alot on the experienced reefers. What about the new people...can we tone it down a little with all the letter calling and scientific terms. The new reefers want to learn, and they have enough on their plate just trying to keep their fish and coral alive. Just a thought!!

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Hi Papafish,

This forum is catered to new and experienced users alike. If ever you have a question regarding anything being discussed (such as scientific terms), please don't hesitate to ask. I'm sure that there are many that will gladly chime in and help you.

The only dumb questions are the ones not asked.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Hey papafish,

Welcome! Nice to see another Newfie Newbie!!!! I agree that theses guys get carried away with all the abreviations sometimes but don't worry, you'll catch on pretty fast and before you know it someone will be asking you to tone it down. If you don't get it.... just ask. That's what I do. There are still a lot that I don't get too!

Best of luck!!!
    :fish3:Piatchie:fish3:

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

Hi Tang Man, it's not about me. I can pick it apart. It's about the new reefers searching the net, looking for a group to feel comfortable with. I mentioned the forum to a few younger reefers here....this is what they told me...just passing it on.
    papafish

Heya Papafish! Didn't realize you were new so welcome! In the meantime, I am a newbie myself and I have asked a million questions, most of which have probably been answered before. The point being that no matter your question or quest for help, all those experienced reefers will be there to help no matter what. It is because of them that us newbies can learn the ropes of this complicated hobby. So even if they are speaking in terms that are completely foreign to us, don't hesitate to ask what they are talking about. I have done it many times and have always gotten a "laymens" answer without hesitation! So ask away and seek out the answers you desire, you will get them in "no uncertain terms!"
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming
    WOO HOO - What a Ride!

See, there ya all go posting answers before I get a chance to read the whole story! lol

So... my post now refers to the younger reefers...welcome younger reefers!
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming
    WOO HOO - What a Ride!

I remember being in a similar position about one year ago :-). One thing I found useful was another forum on the site (Just Getting Started) which often addresses more fundamental issues and questions for new-comers. However, as noted, all are welcome in all fora.

This link gives the meanings for many of the common acronyms used: http://reefcentral.com/modules.php?s...&eid=2&ltr=all
    Nick

hey xena, sorry about that!! Just trying to see that everyone who needs help gets it. I'm still learning 50 things a day, at least. Alot of the younger people get scared off easily, and they're the ones that need the most help. We have a 15yr old in the group, he said...OMG...not much for me there!!
    papafish

Ditto for me! (what xena said) You guys have gotta stop doing that!!!! So I guess we newbies will be telling papafish to tone it down a little too.

How did we think someone called papafish would be a newbie anyway! Gotta start reading the fine print!
    :fish3:Piatchie:fish3:

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

No worries, papafish! I hope your friend is reading this and that he sees that he can get help in terms that are understandable to him. I hope he speaks up and asks some questions. I may not be able to answer some of his questions but I know for a fact that anyone here would be more than happy to help him. My hope is that one day, my daughter will be as into this as I am and that she can come here when she is old enough and have no worries about asking the questions that she needs answered. I would certainly feel more than comfortable having her here rather than in some other forums that are not so friendly or helpful. But we won't name names, will we?! lol
    WOO HOO - What a Ride!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast