Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Huge Blue Linkias??

I was just at Aqua Tropicale and saw several blue linkias that were about 8" across, with legs as thick as my finger!

Can these actually be linkias? Would an animal like that starve in a normal reef tank?

Thanks,

Bill

Cool

In a 90g yep.

I have a linkia that i've had for a year and its easliy 10" across, so i'm going to say that no it wouldn't starve its only in a 50gal and its still growing
    Mark
    50 Gal SPS/LPS Mixed Reef
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Acrylic City Kalk Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer
    2x175W MH 1x250W MH 2x65W Actinics

Question

really! mmm I'm suprized. I had one in my 90g and he lasted around 4 months.

What does a 10" starfish do to your frags?

Bill.
    I've seen them too. He gets them somewhat regularly and has also got the burgandy ones in that size too. I wouldn't get it as that size requires a huge tank to supply enough food for it to forage on.
    Offhand, I would say Johnny's 500 gallon tank would be the only one I know of that I would attempt to put one in.
    As for coral knocking, stars are not pushy but rather gentle as they scurry around. So even at that size I don't think it would do damage or knock things over.

Fishmonger,
    Not to be negative but if you have one that's a decent size, 1 year is not enough to claim long term success. The bigger the star, the more reserve it has and can still be slowly withering away. A small one would take less time. However, you said it has brown, then that sounds positive to me. How much has it grown in the year?

John,
    Perhaps yours was not in good health to begin with or starving? Blue Linkias are very easy to keep, providing it is in excellant condition when acquired and it has enough food in the tank.

Johnny,

It sounds like these are made for you. Do you want me to bring one along to the MASO meeting?

Bill

MASO meeting?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cool

bill, whats the cost on those big boys? I'd have to say SURE!! I'll take one.
    greg, MASO, ya know, the meeting on the 27th. did ya miss the postings? come on down bud!

Yeah, I was not aware of it at all!! I just went to the MASO forum and read up on it. I'll try...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast