Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which calcium/alk additives do you use?

I am trying to switch to a different kind of calcium/alk additives because the current one I am using is a PITA to apply (i.e. putting a powder directly into the main tank -- I don't have a sump -- and risk your fish ingesting the powder).

It's preferrably a balanced two-part solution, but not necessary. I also don't want the solutions to contain too many "trace elements", since the tank will get those from water changes. Don't want to overdose trace elements. Also my tank is only a FOWLRAMI (Fish Only With Live Rock And Mobile Invertebrates - whew!   ) so it can be considered "lightly loaded" in terms of calcium usage. Mainly I want good growth of coralline algae.

There are many brands out there, like Seachem, Kent, ESV and Two Little Fishes. Wondering what you guys like and where I can find the best prices. Canadian online is ok, and the Big Al's only carry Kent and limited Seachem's. Marinescape here in Ottawa has Tropic Marine, but that's in powder form which I don't like.

Please share your opinions/experience.
    If the authors of "Finding Nemo" knew anything about Clownfishes, Marlin would turn into a female and Nemo would become her new husband.

Re: Which calcium/alk additives do you use?

I'm just finishing up my Tropic Marin and I hate it.  The results are good but I don't like dumping the powder in either.  I now use a shaker bottle, fill it with R/O or tank water and disolve the powder int he bottle, then dump it in the tank...alot of fussing.  Like I said, I can't complain about the results though.

I'm switching to B-Ionic when I'm finally done the Tropic Marin.  I still have a four pound tub, and half another tub to go though.  If anyone wants the Tropic Marin for trade of frags or anything, let me know.  The product works, but without a sump, it's a pain to add.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

I've been using B-Ionic 2 parts additive since day 1. If you don't want the cost and danger of a reactor  then this product is for you. The hassle with it is it is a daily additive.  It is liquid and comes in 2  4 litre bottles. My 90+20 sump uses this in about 9 months. Really big operations pretty well need a reator for cost effectiveness.
     Dan Cole ships this stuff but I'm sure Ivan would also have a line on it.....
    True Perc

[quote author=True Perc link=board=ReefDiscussion;num=1046825087;start=0#2 date=03/05/03 at 07:36:55] *I've been using B-Ionic 2 parts additive since day 1. If you don't want the cost and danger of a reactor *then this product is for you. The hassle with it is it is a daily additive.[/quote]

Wow. You mean you have to add this stuff EVERYDAY? Do you consider your tank "high demand" in terms of calcium usage?
    If the authors of "Finding Nemo" knew anything about Clownfishes, Marlin would turn into a female and Nemo would become her new husband.

Yes sir, with 12 active SPS corals and about the same for LPS I do have high calcium demands. Like I said it is a pain in the rump but:
    1) you can adjust dosages to tank demands
    2) daily dosing eliminates "skimmer depletion" problems
    3) I'm achieving high grow rates on SPS

B-Ionic Posterboy

P.S.   We are not "fishgeeks",we are "fish he-men heroes".
    True Perc

I also been using B-Ionic for about a 1 1/2 years, but I go through about 4 jugs (1 US gallon jugs) per year. I dose daily and have kept my Calcium at 430. 75 gallon tank with 30 gallons in the refugium/sump

Daniel
    Daniel
    M.A.S.K.
    Marine Aquarium Society of Kitchener
    www.maskcanada.org

ijo

Has anyone tried C-Balance by Two Little Fishies?  I've heard its pretty much the same as B-Ionic.  Anything will help.

IJO

A friend of mine uses it with great success.  I also know people who have great success with Kent liquid reactor lately.  The reason I'm switching to B-Ionic is solely for the Alk buffering with the two part process.  Right now I'm still using Tropic Marin and the results are great from it.  I just have a constant fight with Alkalinity.  
    I like to try differnet things whenever I can, and see the results for myself.  
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

I have been using KENT TECH CB PART A and KENT TECH CB PART B for over two years and I love it. I add it twice a week

rj
    Banned

I picked up B-Ionic this week and will keep you posted.  The only bad thing I've heard about it is that for a large tank it can get expensive as it is a daily additive.  For my 46 Bow it should be fine. ;D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast