Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yellow Wrasse

Yellow Wrasse

Our LFS has a tank with 6 yellow wrasses. The largest is starting to change to the terminal male colors. More red on the tip of all the fins and green and red stripes through the face. The change has not completed, the colors are faded but still very noticeable. I am sure if this fish were left with the others it would complete the change.

My questions
    If I buy this fish will the colors stay the same? Or, will it complete the change to a terminal male without female yellow wrasses in the tank?

Thanks
    Andrew

It will complete the change- if it is on it's way- which it seems to be, it will finish- they are really nice when they are fully coloured
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Thanks reefmutt. The color pattern on this fish is really beautiful. I will have to think about getting it though. It seems that all 6 have formed a group and it would be a shame to split them up.

The only thing to worry about with yellow wrasses is that they can be jumpers. I think he'd probably do fine if removed from the rest- I mean that is what happens to most fish when they are removed from the wild.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Do you have a pic of a mature male, I looked for one to no avail?
    I live in a mail-order town!!!
    If you don't feel like standing behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Go for it Andrew. If they are a group and you take the male another will just make the change and take his place. It's a beautiful fish.
    Susan

I just had to get a Yellow Wrasse but couldn't bring myself to split up the group too much. So, I got the male and 2 females. They are settling into the tank very well and have been schooling together. I have been trying to get a good picture of the three, and of the males colors on his face. But, I haven't been able to get a good one.

Here's a picture anyway....

Very nice little group.

Cool

very nice! I'm thinking of adding one as well. there good with clams as they hunt pyranid snails and sometimes even flatworms.

Well..., I think I just realized why you can't find any good pics of them on the net. These buggers simply do not stay put long enough to get a good shot!!! I've been trying for the past 1/2 hour to get a shot of mine which has the full colors and I've been snapping and erasing all the time. I gave up!!!
    I agree though, these fish are very nive and usefull too for reasons John mentioned.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast