Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Feeding Anemones

How often do you feed your Anemone, and what do you feed it? How long have you had it?

I 've had a blue carpet for a year and a magnifica for three months. I try to feed both of them twice a week. Most meaty foods are alright but try to mix it up a bit. Some people say that you don't have to feed your anemone but I think they have stinging cells and a mouth for a reason. I tried feeding everyday but it seems to expand more when I wait a few days between feedings. Lots of light lots of current.

Light is far more important to anemones than actual "food" is.
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE

I have a 2 year old blue carpet, it doesn't like a lot of light at all, it has a spot in a dimly lit area- I feed it infrequently- a couple times a month, one big uncooked raw shrimp. I find that if I feed it too often it becomes sluggish and doesn't expand as much.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

If light is the most important factor.....Why do they have a mouth and the ability to devour an animal that was unfortunate enough to come within its reach? Many anemones live in low-light conditions.....aptasia...for example!!

I didn't say that they shouldn't eat. Try keeping one in the dark and only feed it supplimental food. Keep another in a tank with proper lighting and don't feed it. Tell me which one does better.

Different species have different requirements, but in general if you don't have the proper lighting to keep smei-decent light demanding corals then you can't keep an anemone for very long.

Who keeps aiptasia anyways???
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE

Only the people who think they're cool because they suddenly start growing like weeds, and they didn't buy them!! I agree with you...symbiotic animals require light to grow. But if you don't feed the anemone something meaty....you won't have them for long!

I resently bought one too and everytime i trie to feed it, my shrimp(S)[six of them] goes attacking the poor anemone for the food.
    Newbie in training

I started this thread because hobbyists generally have good luck with many inverts....but very few can manage to keep anemones for an extended period of time. If we all have input here....maybe we can figure out the issues. I have 3 anemones in my tank.....this is the only 3 I've had success with in all my years. My magnifica...I feed once a week...and my purple tip L.T. and maroon I feed twice a week. I feed them grocery store bought peeled raw shrimp, and scallops. I've had the magnifica for a year, and the other two for almost two years......the difference is I feed them now!!

I've kept bubble tip anemonies for years and never fed them, they don't need to be fed. They are high light loving corals though. lower light anemonies probably need more meaty foods.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast