Thread: Worms

Worms

Hey all,

I don't have a picture of the worms that I'd like Id'ed but I'll give it my best at the description. Basicly they are worms that burron in my live rock. When I take my turkey baster and touch it it retracts back into the rock. I can't really remove them from the rock. From what I've noticed they are clear and have a black line inside they body. It looks about half an inch long and is definatly tube shaped. Any help you guys could give would be great. I've read and from what I've gathered they might be feather dusters. Are there any feather dusters that don't have a "feather" at the top? Or does it take a while for it's "feather to come out? Do they like the light or do they not like the light? To sum things up ... I'd like your thoughts first on what kind of worm you think the worms are and second if they are feather dusters do they need to have the feather and do they like light.

Thanks in advance,

Steph

Steph, It is quite possible it is a feather duster....they filter feed with their "feathers"....alot of time they will shed the "feathers" in sudden changes of water chemistry (transfers...things like that) they will re-grow, they will leave their tube in low oxygen conditions.....if this happens they're doomed. And, of course I'm guessing it's a feather duster....they're pretty hardy and prefer bottom-mid aquarium areas....little current.

Thanks for the info papafish! I hope they are feather dusters. Do you know of any other worms that have that same behavior pattern?

I'm thinking you're right from the explaination you gave....and no...nothing comes to mind.....but maybe someone else will have some more info for you.