Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How Many Powerheads

Hi All,

Just wondering how one should calculate the number of powerhaeds/waterflow required for a tank. I'm running 2 maxijet 1200's in my 77gallon and wondering if that's enough.

Nick.

ijo
    I also run 2 maxi 1200's... adding another 1 or 2 won't hurt... the more the better mWahahahaha. :evillaugh

IJO

In my 180, I have a Mag 950 (950 gph)for return, and three Rio 2100 (600 gph) in the main tank. That gives me 2750 ghp (gallons per hour), or a total circulation of 15 times per hour. That might even be considered low for some. I have seen tanks with 27 times per hour. I beleive the desired rate is 20 timestotal circulation per hour.

Something to shoot for.

I have a 65 gallon packed with about 55 corals.....I have 4 maxi jet 1200's and 1 minijet at 160 gallons....with a MAG 9.5 return..................I want more ....

Can never have enough........

Of course it depends on what you are keeping to a degree.....lagoon type or fringe type corals......still hard to reproduce the flow of the ocean......corals will adapt to it.

fishprick

holy cow, your tank is a rocking! yeh NBREAU you could even add a few more MAXIS. I always try to have a low flow PH behind the rockwork as well.

I'm running 2 Powerhead 402's and a 201 down the back of the tank with LR and some softies (colt incl.) with 7 fish and it seems just fine in my 65g.
    Cheers

i just found this site today it'll be awhile before I read thru all the threads. I'm reading up everything and am getting ready to set up a 50G tank.

Quick question for soup. The 402 powerheads, I heard from many that fish and snails, etc... get sucked up often. Do you have that problem and what do you do to prevent that? thanks.

For those of you that would like to run your powerheads on a wavemaker, it is highly advisable to use the Maxi-Jet 1200's. No, I don't sell these.

Reason being that you don't get the impeller chatter on start-up like on other powerheads.

The Maxi-Jets may start to chatter a little after a couple of years but then just change the impeller.

Also if anyone's interested I'll post the Maxi-Jet impeller mod that ensures they won't chatter.

Listen to your Hagen powerheads the next time you plug them in, now imagine that every few minutes.

Van
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

ijo

Welcome to Aquaria Canada Thien...

Glad you found us.. its always ncie to see new members join from the Ottawa Area. You might be interested in joining a lot of the Aquaria Canada users at the next MASO(Marine Aquarium Society of Ottawa) outing. Click here for more details...

If this is your first marine aquarium your wanting to setup... things might get a little confusing at times... feel free to ask any questions you may have. Thats what were here for(well most of us : hehe)

IJO

Is there a magic formula for determining the needed number of powerheads ? ie my tank is 48" long and 24" wide and 2 maxijets just doesn't seem to be enough....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast