Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar

Heliofungia withdrawn

I recently (1 month ago) purchased a Heliofungia as an addition to my 180gal tank. I have several other coral in this tank that do fine, including several acros, hammer, frogspawn, some softies, and many more.

However the Heliofungia has not extended since the 2nd day after adding it to my tank. It is constantly in a withdrawn state, still fleshy though, not showing any of it's skeleton. There are no tissue abrasions that I can see.

Water params:

temp: 78-79
    pH: 8.2
    ORP: 370
    dKH: 10.6 (Salifert)
    Ca: 430 (Salifert)
    Mg: 1150 (Salifert)
    Ammonia: 0 (Salifert)
    Nitrite: 0 (Salifert)
    Nitrate: .2 (Salifert)

The Heliofungia is placed on the sandbed, under a 250w 10k Coralvue. The MH lamp is about 12" above the waterline. The tank's depth is 24".

I'm currently wondering if the problem is too much waterflow.
    I have ~ 1200gph (Mag18) from the sump return and ~ 2500gph (Sequence Dart) through the closed loop with alternating flow via 3x ReefRat rotating returns.

As I mentioned, the Heliofungia is on the sand bed in the middle of the tank between to rock "islands". The sand in the general area has pushed away from the glass.

Should I try relocating it to my refugium that has very low flow? It is currently lit by a Coralife PC bulb on a reverse photo period.

Thanks,
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

It might be the flow, although they do need nice flow to bring food to them. Try relocating it in the tank somewhere for now. Perhaps a somewhat more secluded area which is a bit calmer.

Did you check out the article on advacnedaquarist

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...003/invert.htm

'Water motion

Heliofungia does not like very strong water currents. Under strong flow it will not expand fully. It will expand beautifully under slight to moderate water flow that gently moves the tentacles. This movement promotes gas exchange and assures uniform illumination of the whole polyp.

Yup...
    That's what got me thinking that it was flow...
    I think that I will have to move it to a more secluded area of the tank. Unfortunately, that's the back of the tank where it wouldn't be as visible as it is now.

How often do you feed him? I had the same problem with a fungia plate coral I have. He was alway's extended for about the first 3 months after I got him. I feed him about 2 times a week, and it looked like he was doing great. Then I noticed one day he was retracted, he has been like this for almost a month now. Flow, placement in the tank lights and feeding has not been changed. I just recently started feeding him every second day and he is extending alot more now.

Try feed him more see if that helps.

Colby
    "DREAM LIKE YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE LIKE YOU'LL DIE TOMMOROW"

I have placed it in another spot where there doesn't seem to be as much flow.

As for feeding, I don't exactly spot feed it. I feed the tank nightly with a mixture of Formula1 or Formula2, PE Mysis, Bloodworms, Cyclop-Eeze, Spirulina, and even DT's and Bio-Plankton. The tangs get their share of Nori nightly as well.

I feel that everyone, Corals included, get's their fair share.

whoaw, thats more than i eat.
    We need more Indians!

Maybe try and spot feed him for the next week or two. Give him Mysis, it's worth a shot it can't hurt anything.

Does he extend at all during the night?

Colby
    "DREAM LIKE YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE LIKE YOU'LL DIE TOMMOROW"

Steve666,
    I think it's important that they get a varied diet.
    There other stuff that I feed on odd occasions as well such as PrimeReef, Sweetwater Zooplankton, and Colourbits.

Cableguy,
    I may try spot feeding... we'll see how he does in his new location over the next few days. I can't say that I see him extend very much.

variety is the spice of life!:evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh
    We need more Indians!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast