Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yippy!!! Liverock Hitch hicker

I found my first live rock hitch hicker today. I was staring at my newley setup 230 gallon, and noticed a whole bunch of tiny white things crawling all over my glass. After a closer inspection I dicovered that they are Flatworms!!! Yup I have about 1000 tiny white Flatworms. Needless to say I'm not as happy as what the title suggests. Well I just placed an order for some of Saliferts Flatworm Exit, I hope it will get rid of these little buggers. I guess on the plus side; I don't have any livestock yet so I don't have to worry about the medication harming anything.

Has anyone else had experience with flatworms? How did you get rid of them? How big where they and what color? Did they harm any of your livestock?

Colby
    "DREAM LIKE YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE LIKE YOU'LL DIE TOMMOROW"

Colby,
    The white ones are no where near as bad as the red or rust colored ones. In the past I have had them and know a few other people that have had them and they always just disappear with time on their own. With the other colored ones however, you need to be proactive about it. Having said this, I still think it would "not" be a bad idea if you wanted to try the flatworm exit. Try to siphon out as much as possible first though because when these little buggers diem they apparantly release a toxin and if enough of them do this, it migh cause problems for livestock. Since you have no livestock though..., dose away!!!!! I would do more than one dosage and speace it out a day or two just to be sure and check well between the doses to see if you have any stragglers.

I've had lots of experiance with two types of flatworm. One was burgandy in colour and about 2 mm in length- I got some manderin gobies and scooter blennies and a yellow wrasse and they disappeared. I also have the slightly larger flesh coloured ones that didn't die when dosed with flatworm exit and exist in my system today but do no real harm. The fish that eat the red ones don't seem to eat these ones. I did have a pair of saddle clowns that eat them, but I can't add any more clowns to my tank.
    Personally, I don't think you have flatworms- do you have a pic of them, are you sure they aren't some other type of critter? Flatworms usually don't show up on rock- they like fleshy corals like mushrooms and open brains, and soft corals. If you look at the photo of the sinularia shot on my pic thread you will see some brownish flatworms with a tiny white spot, on the arms of the coral- do your things look like these?
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

I read a thread on RC and this person had the red ones. He did one dose of Flatworm exit, and a half hour later he added a second dose for extra messure. Apparently they all died from this double dose effect. I'm going to try this and see how it goes. Thanks for the info Toutouche.

Reefmutt.... I'm out of town so I can't take a pic of them. I will as soon as I get home on Sunday. They are very small about 1-2mm in length. They are whiteish in color, and they have two little tail like things that drag behind them as they move across the glass. I will look at your pic and see if they look the same.

Thanks
    Colby

hmmmm...I changed my mind, two little tail things, eh??maybe they are flatworms...
    Matt.

Maybe?!!!!!

Do they look like these little buggers?

http://www.rshimek.com./odd_critters.htm#Flatworms

crap!! I just realised I never put that picture of the sinularia- SORRY
    Matt.

YES!!!!! Toutouche You are the man!!!! I have been looking for a pic of them all day long and I could not find one. That is exactly what they look like! Thanks a million.

Colby

Reefmutt... LOL I just finished looking through your pics and I could not find it. I thought maybe I was going crazy, LOL....

Colby

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast