Thread: sand bed

sand bed

I notice that my sand bed in my tank seems to have a hard top layer in the front section of my tank Greg the Doctor told me it could be from adding to much kalkwasser into my tank.In my refuge the sand bed is 5 inches and seems alright worms and bugs are moving around easily. Is there another explaination for this problem

I can't say that I have ever heard of this happening? Do you have any creatures in your sand bed to naturally stir it up? Maybe if you added a few sand sifting stars or some Nassarius snails, they may help.

Colby
    "DREAM LIKE YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE LIKE YOU'LL DIE TOMMOROW"

Frank,
    You might want to add to this that the tank has been set up for quite awhile now ( although I can't remember exactly how long...) and the refuge was only added on about 2 or 3 months ago. Also that you "used" to drip Kalk heavily before the refuge was installed. As Colby and I mentioned to you, you also need some creatures to keep the sandbed moving.

Here ya go for a quick explanation of what is happening.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...ndbed+clumping

I'm with Doctor TOUCHY on this. If you were dosing kw heavily in the past chances are you had some precipitation on the gravel. Aragonite gravel is a prime site for crystalisation and attracts calcium when the the water is saturated with calcium and has a high ph and alkalinity. Kw, with a ph of 14 often cause this problem, especially if you happen to be dosing other buffers at the same time.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

is it possible that stiring it up will solve this problem and then buying some sand sifters...or with me stirring my sand bed make a spike in my nitrate readings

you won't be able to stir it up- it'll probably come out in one clump- you should probably throw it away. The type of calcium crystal that forms is calcite, I think and it is not very soluable in the tank water.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

I broken up a few pieces breaks very easily with my hand can this sand bed get reactivated now since it is soft again or all the sand useless