Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New tank set up suggestions.

I am considering setting up a 5x2x2 or 6x2x2 foot tank.

I was thinking about putting a sea horse/pipe fish section in it and were thinking of the best way to do this rather than run 2 tanks.

One idea was to section off the first foot of the tank with glass ( holes in it et al) and have them separated that way. the problem is that I'll only see the sea horses when entering the room and the divider will eventually block the view and look ugly.

The other idea was to have the sea horse section attached to main tank at a lower level and have the main tank flow down into the sea horse tank and then into the sump.
    This is essentially 2 tanks but they would run via the same system and use the same water supply, removing the hassle of caring for 2 tanks.

I also wanted to have acros and LPS.

The 6 foot may be a bit too big, and I'm leaning towards the 5. The 6 foot will to be built on the premises due to a winding stairwell and will have to be completely pulled apart when I move to somewhere bigger.

I'm willing to forgo the idea if it's not practical and was wondering if anyone has any ideas of how to accomplish this.

Also with either tank I'll have to have 2 ladders on either side and a plank of wood to get in there as the skimmer is enormous, ( custom made "beast") and the stand will have to be made higher. Alot higher.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

If your building on site 5 footer will not cost much more then a 6 footer but to buy it pre built would cost a lot more then a 6 footer because it is a non standard size. To create two separate areas within the same tank you could put in a glass divider that has a top edge that is set at the high water line. Pump water from you sump into one side and let it overflow into the second side where you true overflow that supplies the sump is located.
    Rob

Thanks I was thinking of that.

The consideration here was that the divider would eventually get dirty and corals would cover it preventing viewing through it.

5 footers here are fairly common and not a problem. the extra cost would be on site set-up.

My b/friend wants to do this with me and have his acros with my 'flubber' ( his name for non-acro corals...) Do I divide the tank top and bottom or left and right??? And how thick do I make the divider tape???? Heh...
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

I am guessing that you are being sarcastic .. right?? the tank can not be divided top and bottom. Side to side is the way to go using a 1/4 inch pane of glass that is VERY NEATLY siliconed in place. The other option is to use a factory made tank divider that will become covers with Coraline.
    Rob

You make me laugh....
    I was referring to my boyfriend and his share of the tank. Whether I give him the top half or the bottom or the left or right to use, and whether I should use some thick masking tape to mark territory..
    He says it will still be my tank...Like I was born yesterday....
    But using glass to defend my 'share' may be an idea.....But I think I'll keep that for the sea horses and pipefish...
    :biglaugh2

Well .. at least you had a laugh
    Rob

Tiffany, are you prepared to give the sea horses all of the time and effort they need to survive? This may prove to be a bigger hurdle than getting your boyfriend properly taped up!!
    I think a glass divider would eventually become ugly and tiresome.
    Anyways once you (or he) start(s) adding sps, you wont want to defend your territory, you will be assimilated by the sps....resistance is futile......
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Don't tell her that reefmutt. I am sure that the flubber will be fine in the tank with SPS as long as it is on the sand bed. The captive bred seahorses will be fine as long as they
    1. Don't touch my acros.
    2. Don't touch my acros.

Andy

But Honey, they need your acros to hold on too.......

Can't I use a pocilipora or pink birdsnest for them to "cuddle"???? Huh!!!

Hmmm, I wonder how long it would take for an acro to encrust a dead seahorse - could look cool - seahorse shaped acro.
    I'll get a fire coral colony for them to cuddle if you like.

Andy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast