Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Plans for 150 gal system

Hi,
    I'm planning a 150 gal system in the new year. Right now I'm starting to think about the plumbing part. The boxes in the crude diagram would be a 150 gal tank drilled in the back pane with 2" drains and returns. The sump would be 30 gal with a euroreef cs8-1 (already bought second hand) skimmer and I'm thinking a ampmaster 3000 for a return pump. The refugium would be a 20 gal tank fed by a powerhead in the sump and a return to the sump by gravity. I think I need some water level switches to turn off pumps in case of blocked drains. Any advice here would be appreciated since the only equipment I've bought so far is the skimmer. Thanks John

IMO you should keep both drains close together with the shortest possible length to the sump or you risk have un-correctable noise in the drain system. your 2 1.5 inch should connect to a 2 then to the sump. bring your returns to as near the top as possible to keep total head to a minimum.
    Rob

can I run reefrats from a drilled back, or do I need to go over the top of the back the tank? Also, wouldn't I get better skimming with separate drains, or is the noise too much like a toilet running all the time?
    Thanks

I don't think there would be a Hugh difference. usually 2 drains get used to handle large volume or one as a back up in case one should get blocked. If you decide to run one drain at each end of the tank make sure you drop directly into the next size pipe so air will not alway be needing to escape through the overflows. Your question about the reef rats is best answered by someone who has used them or of course someone who builds them
    rob

Thanks OSD, I appreciate your suggestions, I'm sure that once I get closer to production I'll have alot more questions. Seems that the planning is almost more fun than the getting.
    John

The more planning you do and re-do and think about it the better the chances are that you will not overlook anything major.
    Rob

john,

Any idea were you are going to get your tank or what kind you want?
    Derik...

Derik,
    I'm thinking of getting the tank either from PU or the local Crystal Glass company which built the 500 gal tank at the local Smittys. Crystal glass will drill glass. Probably looking at April by the time the floor gets checked and I assemble all the parts.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    JohnP,

Not a bad diagram at all.. I was able to understand it completely. My wife is usually the one that has to draw me pictures...

Anyhow, My first observation, as OSD already noted, is that the drains should be kept separate for the reasons he already stated.

As for the return pump... An Ampmaster 3000 is quite a pump... which also has a reputation for leaking.

What is the distance between the sump and the display tank?
    The reason I ask is to determine how much flow you will have at a specific height. You also don't want the flow through the sump to be too fast. Generally speaking, no more than 10x the tank's volume is enough.

Here's a chart to give you a general idea:

You made a good choice on the skimmer... Euroreef's get rave reviews from everyone who owns them...

On the subject of ReefRats, I have 3 of them on my closed loop pump (Sequence DART). They consist of a box that sits above the water, slowly oscillating the return from side to side. That said, they are not meant to be plumbed through a drilled back. They attach to the lip of the aquarium.

Regarding floatswitches, I can set you up with a low voltage floatswitch unit(s) to take care of your needs (top-off, overflow protection, etc...).
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

my thoughts on having the drains on opposite sides of the tank was to get a better sampling of surface water. But I guess with such a high flow there will sufficient mixing of the water. Do you think a ampmaster 3000 is too much? The head would be 5 foot max. I'm leaning toward the 3000 as there are several good deals on Ebay. I'll definately contact you for low voltage switch systems once things get moving.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast