Zoanthid planula

I was looking at a zoo colony night before last (with a magnifying glass) and noticed the scuds making off with small brown balls.

I thought to my self they must be good to eat because the zoos seemed to be eating them too. After observing the process for a couple of minutes it was abvious that they were not being eaten but regurgitated and they were alo able to move across the surface of the zoo and over the edge in what seemed only a few seconds.

Using a hand held microscope I was able to get a good look at one of them at 30x magnification. It was round, dark chocolate brown and had an indentation at the center that was able to expand and contract.

Any one else observed this? And do any survive?

Thanks.
    HermitCrab

They were probably spawning and those were either little larvae or eggs. I have never personally experienced this, but had seen on the "reef" episode of Blue Planet that many different types of corals release what seem to be the same looking thing when they're spawining. All little tiny round brown balls. As to their surviving, it would depend on the hardiness of the particular coral in question, but given the track record of buttons, I would say almost 100% yes You can't seem to kill those little buggers even if you tried!!

I would guess that a couple may survive but the reason that I spotted them was because some scuds were taking them away. Must not be toxic to them, if I'm lucky some may have gotten away.:firejump2 :firejump2 :firejump2 :firejump2
    HermitCrab