Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 90G project

90G project

Okay likely not going to do this until the Spring, but I'm anal about planning things out

Here's what I'm thinking of doing, red lines are "in", blue lines are "out"

I haven't figured out what type of pump to use to drive the SCWDs, but I'd like to get to 900GPH after the head loss & loss from the SCWDs.

Suggestions / Comments?

According to the web site, SCWDs are 90% Efficienct.

So if I use something like a mag 12 for the return, and split it each SCWD should be hit with ~ 500 GPH (allowing for some head loss, a valve etc). That should switch about every 6 - 7 seconds.

Anway without the SCWD, if I use 1" flex tubing on the returns I should end up with about 950 GPH in the tank.

With the SCWDs I'm guessing ~ 850 (ish).

The lines running off the top are to be connected to Reveloutions, likely a 180 degree spread. Anyone know if they reduce the flow like a SCWD will?

Does that sound okay for a 90 or do I need more flow?

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Having used a SCWD before, I can personally attest to them being more like 70-75% efficient.

That said, with the money that you'd end up spending to make up for lost flow, you could easily turn around and invest it in an OceanMotions 4way unit and use a smaller pump.

You did not mention what the height was between the sump and the display tank. It it's something standard like 4ft or so, you could get away with a Mag12 driving your sump return.

Nice diagram by the way!
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

I didn't mention the height because I haven't measured it yet I'm hoping to use the existing pine stand from my 75. Since it was a store bought kit, I'm hoping it's a standard height...

Thanks for the feed back, I'll look into the 4 way

The diagram is my attempts to figure out Visio.

Cheers!

Okay I think I'm sold on the 4-way instead of SCWDs. But now I'm thinking of removing the 2 drilled returns and using 4 reveloutions over the top.

I'll draw it up when I get time & see what you think.

Cheers!

If you're looking into rotating returns, why not look at ReefRats?

I did look at them. There's a few things keeping me from it:

1) The reveloutions look like a very simple mechanical system. I prefer to solve things with simple mechanical over electrical when possible.

2) I'm bumping against a power limit. I have 1 15A circut behind the tank & I can "steal" a couple of amps for the pumps from my UPS. I'm loath to add electrical requirements to the system because of this.

Looking into the revolutions though I've learned they need to be submerged perhaps further than I had planned. They need to trap air in their skirt so they can float back up when the water stops & thus rotate.

I'm also thinking of moving to 1 overflow and having a triangluar overflow in one corner. Or maybe center it. Getting the flow patterns the way I want them with 2 rectagular overflows is a PITA.

I'm hoping to get a good "random" flow in the tank without a single power head.

I'm going to redraw everything over lunch & put it back up for comments.

Cheers!

Okay here's the new diagram. I elimnated the drilled returns and added 2 more revolutions. (I don't know if reefrats can be placed like this, anyone?)

The diagram on the left is what I'm guessing my flow coverage will look like, but I haven't done any math on it, there's too many unknowns on the revolutions for me to work it out accurately. Perhaps somebody that's used them could comment on it?

Using reefcentral's overflow calc, I came up with each overflow needs to be at least 7 linear inches so I went with 4" sqaure. With a 1.5" bulkhead reduced to 1" that should give me ~ 450 GPH each for a total of 900GPH.

The SCWDs are still in the diagram because I might be starting with them & then later replacing them with a 4way.

Comments / Suggestions?

Okay the flow coverage diagram is on the right. Some day I'll learn my left from my right lol.

Cheers!

Couple of things...

First, you want to place ballvalves directly before AND after a pump; for servicing needs you need to be able to shut off water at both places. So, referring to your schematic, you need 2 more ballvalves, and you need to relocate the ones on the pump returns directly to the pump outlets.

Regarding flow now...
    You could get away with 2 Reefrats, by placing one at each end of the tank. They hardly use any power... like 0.003 amps per reefrat.

Instead of the 4way, You could also use the OceansMotions SQUIRT. It would be better suited with the Mag12 driving through it. And would only be slightly more expensive than the 2 very restrictive SCWD's that you'd end up getting rid of anyways.

My thoughts are "Do it right the first time".

Your calculations on the overflows seem about right... However the Mag12 will be pushing ~ 1000gph @ 4ft of head. Factor in pipe friction, etc. and it may be just right. If not, just reduce the output a bit with the ball valve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast