what kelvin temp looks the best

I presently am running 1 x 175W (5500k) and 2 n.o. actinics for lighting my 60 gal. tank. I'm growing both softies and a few hard corals. I'm finding the its just marginally enough light for the sps's. I was going to mount a second 175 in the tank and run it 4 to 6 hours/day to simulate high noon, but I have an opportunity to get a 250w ballast for free. That would work to, and it opens up various other Kelvin temp. Now i was think of getting a 10k lamp, and running the actinics, but maybe too blue. Someone suggested 6500K with the actinics would be a better colored light combo. Any experienced comments? Which way to go? Thanks.

Re: what kelvin temp looks the best

Only run 175 Watts if you have no other options. 250 and 400 watt bulbs are much more efficient at light output/watt.
    I like the 6500 Iwasaki with VHO Aquasuns and white actinics. Most 10-20K bulbs sacrifice light output to achieve their spectrums.  The 5500 Venture is also an attractive bulb with great output.
    True Perc

I would suggest borrowing someone elses old bulbs to check out the colour difference yourself. The slight shift in spectrum in older bulbs wouldn't be noticable to the human eye. Everyone has a different opinon on which combination works for them
    Daniel
    M.A.S.K.
    Marine Aquarium Society of Kitchener
    www.maskcanada.org

I use 400 Iwasaki 6500K with 3 VHO atinics.  I love it, and the SPS's are gwoing like crazy.  Nice look too.  So many options now though so look around and see what you like best.  Also depends on the type of corals you want to keep.
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

i'm currently using 3 x 175w 5500k with 3 x vho actinics and i find the colour is borderline. borderline meaning the colour is not yellow, but not quite as much blue as i would like. When i chaange them out i'll be going with 250w 6500 iwasaki with my current vho actinic setup. I would
    opt to go with 400w instead but trying to balence look\performance with additional hydro costs.

Jeff

i'm currently using 3 x 175w 5500k with 3 x vho actinics and i find the colour is borderline. borderline meaning the colour is not yellow, but not quite as much blue as i would like. When i change them out i'll be going with 250w 6500 iwasaki with my current vho actinic setup. I would
    opt to go with 400w instead but trying to balance look\performance with additional hydro costs.

Jeff

ijo

I currently have a 4xVHO setup over a 77 gallon.  I plan to upgrade to a 90(its sitting in my dining room).  When this happens I'll mvoe to a 400 watt 65k Iwasaki bulb with 2XVHO Actinics.  I think this will give off great color and give me the ability to house pretty much anything I choose.

IJO