Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newest pest to keep a watch for.

Well..., I just wanted everyone to know that it seems we now have to keep a look out for yet another parasite that is showing up in various places. These are tiny Montipora eating Nudibranch's that eat both Cap's and Digi's.

http://www.aquarium-design.com/images/parasite02.jpg

Oh man, Looks nasty! Think theres a cure/treatment?

ijo
    ack!!! always something else to look out for!!!

IJO

Up till now, it seems that the regular dips such as from Seachem or Lugols has worked for a lot of people. The problem with this pest is because of the type of coral it's on. Most Monti's, whether they are plating or branching, encrust a lot and usually once established in the tank is hard to remove without breaking it up. That's the sad part of this pest..., either you lose the whole coral to them devouring it, or you destroy the coral by breaking up a nice piece that has encrusted and grown all those nice plates or branches just to remove it.

These nudi's are very hard to kill. We did both dips and still lost our two caps one was 5" the other 4" we were able to get them off our digi's. By the time you find them on your caps they you will have lost most of it as they eat caps from the underside then move quickly from the rim inward. All I can say is these are nasty little buggers. :mad2: RC suggest you wait 6months before you buy new caps. I love my caps its going to be a long wait.
    ALL POSTS & REPLIES ARE IMO

Hardware:
    180 gal. Reeftank 2hole drilled
    70gal long sump with fuge,
    EuroReef ES8-3 skimmer,
    Reeftek reactor, sms122 ph/CO2 controller,
    Mag 18 return closed loop return.
    Mag 24 return
    Icecap dual175 20k MH, 250 20k MH center, 2 actinic, 2 -actinic white VHOs
    Livestock:
    1 Pajama cardinal, Lawnmower blenny, Sohal tang , Regal tang, 10 Clams, Scooter blennie, Yellow wrasse, DESJARDIN TANG (SAIL FIN),2 percs

I should add I don't think they even came on a monti. We bought an acro 2 weeks before we found them. Had the caps for 3 months and digi's for 2. Acro was the only new addition.

Hardware:
    EuroReef ES8-3 skimmer,
    Mag 24 return
    Livestock:
    1 Pajama cardinal, Lawnmower blenny, Sohal tang , Regal tang, 10 Clams, Scooter blennie, Yellow wrasse, DESJARDIN TANG (SAIL FIN),2 percs

Apparantly, they can stay dormant as eggs for quite awhile. Nudibranchs are always very specific about what they eat and stay near, so they probably "were" on the caps and just not hatched yet...., but who knows for sure!!

Lotus,
    Since you have experienced them firsthand, is there anything else you might be able to give us as info on these guys? Do you have any pics of them from your corals?

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Yet another reason for a proper QT setup.

Lotus,
    In your experience, does a simple dip in ReefDip help avoid these guys?
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

I do remember seeing almost a fungus type film on the bottom of my cap, apparently these are eggs you can siphon this off but you still have to get to the teeni tiny nudi's that seem to have super grip power they don't just fall off when dipped you have to pick them off, PITA we used a tooth pick and sorta flicked them off . With caps there are so many little crevasses they sit in very hard to get to them. They can devour a 5" cap in 72 hours digi's in they move quite fast also.
    As for pics we tried but our camera was crap at the time. I can say this they are very tiny only a couple mm long and cream in color.
    Dips only seem to stun them you still must manually pick them off. So ReefDip will not help.You have to check your coral daily as they will sit in your rocks. Knock on wood haven't seen on in a month I still have several digi's.
    We did give a small frag of cap away right before we found the called that person the second we fond them , he checked the frag and found nothing. Spoke to him last week said it was doing great growing good in six months he may have a frag for me to start over.
    I hope this info helps .

Hardware:
    EuroReef ES8-3 skimmer,
    Mag 24 return
    Livestock:

Man I wonder if these have some kind of natural predator, Tout??

Lotus, sorry to hear about your misshap with the nudies.
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast