Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What to do with receding red Goni??

My red Goni is receding after well over a year in my tank.
    It is doing the symptomatic recession from the base up.
    From day one i expected this and am surprised that it lasted this long, at a great 20cmx20cm, it was a beauty.
    Goni's are a very toxic coral and was wondering if I should remove it now and how to "put it down" kindly? I also want to keep the coral base as L/R.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Tiff,

Goniopora's are reknown for withering away for no reason a year after they've been introduced.

There is no simple explanation except for the fact that aquarists are unable to nourish them adequatetly. They are found in nutrient rich turbid waters in the wild.

In my opinion, goni's are one of many corals that should be left in the wild.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

I agree, and I posted when I bought it at my dismay that I had gone to get a Xenia and came home to find a Goni.

I will not be purchasing another and am aware of their toxicity and believe that when they die they release their toxins.
    I noticed that it has started to recede today and want some advice on whether or not to remove it now (which seems sensible after what i just wrote) and how to "put it down" kindly, and still keep the base for live rock.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Tiff,

I hope I didn't come off rude... it was not my intention.
    Yes, it would be best to remove the goni if there is necrotic tissue. Unfortunately, there's no humane way to put it down other than to seal it in a bag and throw it out.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

That's ok, I'd warn others of purchasing them too.
    There isn't any necrotic tissue, just dead rings near the base where you can see the skeleton.
    Unless of course, that's necrotic tissue....

Tiff,
    I remember this little surprise you had when you bought it!!
    If it looks like it won't make it, then take it out now. No sense in chancing the rest of your tank to it. Necrotic tissue looks like decaying tissue. As Tangman said, there is no real humane way to get rid of a coral. Unless you want to do what some people do with fish and that is simply to place it in water and stick it in the freezer. Apparantly, this just slows down their metabolism and they don't really feel much. Once it's frozen, unless they can do a Walt Disney thing, they're pretty much dead. After that, you can soak the skeleton in bleach to remove all the skin. It will become completely white when it is clean. Then rinse it real well and simply leave it to air dry for a few weeks or a couple months. Chlorine will naturally dissipate rather quickly when exposed to air. I personally just soak my corals right away in bleach that are beyond rescue without bothering about the humane thing. Fish, on the otherhand I have never had the reason to put down yet. Whatever I have lost as far as fish and inverts, all did it on their own..., so far!!

Greg…what…they did it on their own, couldn’t you see the signs and have got them some counselling or something.

Tiffany, if it’s any consolation, corals lack a brain and complex nervous system so technically they don’t feel pain – they only have a simple nerve set which causes them to react to the positive or negatives in their environment.
    Keep passing the open windows!

Tiff,
    If I may for a moment..

Pubber,
    No, As a father figure to my corals, I was a bad example and didn't pay attention to the obvious signs in front of me. I should have listened when that coral kept falling from that rock and when my wrasse had an insecurity problem which he was trying to show me by burying in the sand every single night!!! Then one day, I saw him tattooed all over his face in racing stripes!!!... Oh!!!... If I only paid a bit more attention to my babies!!!:bawling:

Well, lesson learned. You'll recognize those obvious signs of teenage angst next time

Sorry Tiffany, just one more thing…

Greg, I shouldn’t have been so quick to comment. How often do we hear about that polite neighbour next door, or the quiet teen down the street, or yes, even the tattooed wrasse in the sand, until something goes drastically wrong…hindsight is always 20/20. You’re not alone, remorsefully I recall that eerie morning when I awoke to find my Scott Fairy Wrasse lying motionless on the floor (looking like a glass of water would have done wonders for his shrunken complexion). I remember sitting at the kitchen table, thinking about what could have happened when I noticed the headline in the newspaper – Nortel Shares Collapse!! – who would have known?

Sara, I think the real lesson to learn here is about the emotional sensitivity of the Wrasse family. It’s not just pH, nitrates and bullies we should be concerned about.
    Keep passing the open windows!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast