Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lessons Learned from Hurricane Juan

I had a bad day today, power was out for 18 long hours. I lost 6 beautiful fish. Hurricane Juan hit the East coast of Canada very hard.

I was called into work to deal with a major server failure and in my absense my fish died.
    I now have the following to cover off this type of disaster

2 deep cycle 12volt batteries on a constant charge and a 400watt inverter. In the case of a power outage they will run my 202 powerhead with a hose to get some air mixed the water. I have a 400watt AC/DC inverter and a long heavy duty power cord. This will run off my car and power the Ebo heater as required and minimal lighting.

I hope no one else has to learn as I did.

Sorry to hear of your bad day. That is a real bummer...

Hope the backup system you setup covers you for next time.

There ain't much that can be said, things will get better.

Van
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

I feel for ya,

Have many friends here that lost many of their fish......One thing i would invest in and it is a very cheap means of insurance is a battery operated air pump....the catch is ......it plugs into your AC outlet and when the power is lost the system kicks in and runs off the batteries......once power is restored the batteries shut off the system till next time.

This depending on the size of your tank ( may need more than 1) will create a small surface exchange between H20 and 02.........therefore your fish , shrimp, and corals will not suffocate.........too bad they do not have a heater with the same principals.....

anyways hope this helps....product is made by Penn Plax.

Xerces, we here in the Ottawa area feel for your loss. It's not very pleasant seeing your pride and joy laying motionless at the bottom of the tank. Many people suffered the same fate several weeks ago when we had the major power blackout. I myself lost eight beautiful fish and four shrimp ($800) that will take me a long time to recover from. The only good thing we can gather from this is the knowledge that we are now preparing ourselves for a long term power outage, and that the next time we will be ready. Good luck with your recovery.

Unhappy

Not much can be said to make you feel better as that must be a sick to the stomach feeling. I have recently bought 2 of the battery powered airpumps as when the big blackout hit I was not prepared but was spared any losses.You can probaly go without lights for a few days but circulation is a must.The heater idea from FISHPRICK is also an awsome idea and I wonder how come it hasn't been done yet?[ya better patent that idea Rob!]its great!
    XERCES, try to keep your head up as well as all the reefers who to a beating this summer. God bless.

ijo
    Sorry to hear about your loses... I havent yet been hit by a power outage that caused any loses... I did however lose 2 of my fav fish.. so I sorta know how it feels to lose something.

About the heater thing... I think the reason it hasn't been created yet could be cause a heater would take way to much power. I can see the package now "25 C batteries not included" hehe

IJO

Not to go off topic here but during the big ice-storm we had in Montreal about 5 years ago, the only thing that worked was the father-in-law's natural gas water heater. Furnace has an electric motor but not the hot water...

Take a gallon jug, run the hose "supply" to a pipe in the jug cap, that runs to within an inch of the bottom of the jug.

Run the "exhaust" pipe, short pipe in the cap, to another hose and then the drain. Place the jug in the sump or straight in the tank.

Run the water as required to heat the system water. You could also just coil the plastic hose in there as well.

Titanium pipe would be the best heat conductor but then again so would a 10,000 HP diesel generator. :

Should work, any beta-testers out there?

Van
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

Van,
    If you're gonna supply the hot water tank, I'll test it for ya.:doh!!:

Hi Guys

I am still without power. Here in Dartmouth there are trees down everywhere. Some streets you can't even drive down. We got hit really hard because we live right on the Harbour.

I have had no losses. I have kept the water at temp by taking some out and heating it on the BBQ. Every half hour durring the day I stir the water for 5 to 10 minutes. At night I get up at 2:00 am and 4:00 am to mix things up abit.

Right now I am in St.Margarets Bay taking a break. I just hope while I am gone for a few hours things don't change.

How far can the temp of the water go down without causing too much stress?

Thanks
    Andrew

andrew

can you get to any hardware store to buy a converter for your car? at least you could plug a power head and heater. You will definatly need something fast! any fishstores open at all? those PENNPLAX air pumps would save your tank.I feel a temperature drop of more than 8 to 10 degrees is bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast